1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I know about Behringer's reputation, but...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jan 1, 2012.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

...after playing for the X-time a gig with this amp paired with this cab, I can nothing but say that it's a GREAT-sounding rig. I can't comment about its build quality/durability since I don't own it (and it's not among my plans to get one), but there hasn't been a single gig in which it made me feel disappointed. Very versatile and, actually, few amps can produce the amount of rumble this one does without sounding muddy.

At least because of the way it sounds, I think this is a terrific option for those who are looking for a big + clear-sounding bass amp at a relatively low cost. Again, I don't know how reliable/durable it is, but it sounds great for sure!

2. The previous bassist in the band at my college had the same head, but paired with the 1x15 and the 2x10 that they don't make anymore. Got it all in a set, second hand with a Warwick corvette for about £900, guess he got a deal there? As far as I'm aware, there were a few different 'powerpacks' as they called them available. True, low cost and it always sounded alright to me when he used it. I used it once myself, but never touched the dials, so I guess it doesn't count. But I agree, good volume and it certainly wasn't muddy either. Wouldn't get one myself either, but that's because I'm perfectly happy with my current set up.

As far as I'm aware it never failed him, and hasn't to this day. They do have a bad reputation, but not everything they make is bad.

3. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    I had one for quite a while, and it was a reliable workhorse.

I have looked over the innards of a Bugera 1960 (Plexi design), and it wasn't bad at all.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I am no fan, but if I plugged into a Behringer rig and couldn't get a usable enough sound out of it, I wouldn't blame the gear ;)

5. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    A couple comments....
    Oh to be young and have a back again.... ;-)
    That cab is heavy as Oprah on the way out of Golden Corral. (Pretty Heavy)
    It sounds very good though, but the weight is the deal-killer.
    The head - I had one and it had a ground loop (which I fixed) which caused a 60Hz hum. Once that was fixed, I loved it.
    If it's going to be stationary, yeah, that's a decent little affordable rig!
    I just can't imagine load-in and load-out of that cab and that head.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I've a Beheringer Ultrabass 1200, it's one of the kickbacks with the aluminium cone, it stays at my best mates house for jamming. Was given to me for free, as it was broken, and worthless, if I could fix it, good luck.

Swapped the fuse out, never gave me a day of trouble ever.

Soundwise? Surprisingly brilliant, really versatile.

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I'm not a fan of the company for various reasons but I used to go to an open blues jam and the house bassist used to run one of those heads with an Avatar 210. It always sounded good. He told me it was a decent head that he felt he could bring to jams and wouldn't worry about someone breaking it.

8. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    My main reason for boycotting B******** products isn't because of product quality or reliability; it's because I prefer not to reward questionable or unethical business practices.

9. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Newark,De.
    Had the BX4500H head and a pair of BA410 cabinets with the aluminum cone speakers in them. I used it for two years mostly for outdoor gigs. Never had an issue,and sounded great no matter what bass I ran through it. I even picked up a BA15 cabinet to change it up a little.

Attached Files:

• 021.JPG
      021.JPG
      File size:
      62.9 KB
      Views:
  10. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    And away we go....

11. I ran the head with two BA410s for awhile when the funds got super tight. Even though the head isnt two ohm stable, it never gave me a problem when I linked the two together. Sounded good and got me my grindy metal tones and warm contemporary tones.

Actually now that I am thinking about it.. That rig has probably been the most reliable rig I have had when I ran it alone. I honestly cant remember a time that something went wrong with my rig when that was all I used.

Im actually in the market of selling that rig at the moment. Great backup rig if there is a chance of rain or beer throwing, but like mentioned.. way too freakin heavy!

But still, good sound, reliable, cheap, not too shabby.

12. By the way, has anyone ever had a poppy sound come from yours when you play with an active bass? Like the snapping of fingers. The individual cones are clean and the sound is fine, except that snapping sound on my bottom E. Even at relatively low volumes. Maybe something loose on the inside?

Anyone else have something similar?

13. I know a guy made a pretty good sounding bass rig out of a tiny little Behringer mixer, a Behringer power amp, and a huge ancient Peavey 4X12 loaded with Carvin speakers. Played a $180 Japanese Fender with 3 white EMG Jazz pickups in it. Controls were volume, volume, volume.

Really anything should be usable, as long as it functions.

14. codethechode

codethechode

Jul 21, 2011
    I own two of the bb410s and I lug them both to every show. Yes , they are heavy but some heavy duty casters fix that. As far as sound they have handled everything I throw at them I run a hartke lh1000 at 2ohms and they are LOUD. Give me everything I need at an affordable cost. I used a bvt5500h for about two years and loved the head it was just to clean for what I wanted but it had punchy tone for days. I've never had a problem with anything I've owned from behringer.

15. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    I've never used that or any other Behringer bass cabs, but the BX4500H is a good amp. There was one running into an SWR 410 in the rehearsal space of one of my old bands. I used it pretty consistently for almost a year and was able to get a lot of great tones out of it. Never gigged with it, so I can't speak to the road worthiness of it, but the guy who owned it used it for quite a few gigs and I never knew of him having any problems with it. I'll throw in a compliment for that amp whenever it comes up, I was impressed by it.

16. Me thinks Behringer sound quality is quite OK, maybe a little bit boring. However, the problem is quality assurance, or try to drag the equipment to multiple shows...