Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I know everyone one hates these type of threads but...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by petey, Jun 13, 2004.

1. petey

petey

Jun 2, 2004
    B.S.E England
    I know everyone hates these types of threads but here goes anyway. Which one?

SWR workingman's 4004
    Ashdown ABM 300
    Carvin R1000
    Ampeg B2r

If youy can think of anymore that might fit into this price/power bracket (not Hartke) tell us about it.

I play mostly zeppelin/guns n' roses style rock with my band but still like to bosh out some classical transcriptions and jazz lines in my spare time - what kind of tonal characteristics do these amps have?

Cheers

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Well, you're going to get a lot of personal opinions on this that may not jibe with your own, so I'm not sure how helpful we're really going to be.

For example, if I give you my opinion, which is:

- I do NOT like the Workingman's series at ALL (hate the tone with a passion)
    - I also do not like Carvins because they are underpowered
    - Of those that you mentioned, I like Ashdown the best from my own experience

How helpful is that? If you were me, it'd be quite helpful :D , but your opinion on tone, etc. may differ radically from mine.

3. petey

petey

Jun 2, 2004
    B.S.E England
    thanks mate, i'll definatly heed your advice. I've heard loadsa negative stuff about Carvin's redline anyway. The buzz seems to be that their customer service dept is crap also. Jus wonderin, what is the SWR tone actually like? and for that matter the Ampeg as well (if you've played it ofcourse). Anyone else got any input?

4. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    The ampeg tone is great!! I've got an ampeg svt-350H and you can dial in multiple types of tone....for me i crank up the bass, cut the mids, and turn the highs down just a tich. with this i get a great,clean, bass sound that shakes u to the bone!