Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I know for signal peaks I should put it at the end

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by echo008, May 3, 2005.

1. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi Guys, I have searched and have read and have learned ALOT here, but I would still like to hear from some of you guys...
    I am going to be buying a demeter compulator and want to know where you would put it in this chain

Bass > Sadowsky Pre > Guyatone MT-3 Tuner > EBS Bass IQ > EBS UniChorus> EH Big Muff NYC.

I know for signal peaks I should put it at the end after the big muff, I know I want to use the demeter more as an effect though.
    But would I be better served putting it after the Bass IQ considering the sound of the envelope filter is somewhat of a "squashed" sound to begin with.
    where would you place the compulator in this chain?
    thanks
    - Tom

2. That's a tough one. I'm a big fan of compressing the bass and then adding some high and low from a great EQ,... so putting the Demeter Compulator right before the Sadowsky would sound great. But I don't think it will sound very good putting a compressor in front of the Bass IQ because an envelope filter reacts to dynamics and if you squash the dynamics before it hits the FX,... it kinda defeats the purpose.

3. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I was planning on putting it right after the sadowsky, well actually I am thinking of doing this.

Sadowsky > Bass IQ > Demeter compulator > Unichorus > Big muff.

Although Im not too crazy about having the Muff last for some reason.
    the alternative would be
    Sadowsky > Bass IQ > Big Muff > Demeter compulator >Unichorus.
    Or just put the Compulator last and see how Im liking it, but originally I had wanted it more for an effect.
    - Tom

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    There's a big difference in sound between putting a compressor before or after a distortion. If you put it before, you get a much more synth-ish tone (that's what I do); if you put it after, then the amount of distortion is more 'touch-sensistive', and vowel-y sounding.

There's definately no right or wrong with that particular combination. It's a matter of preference.

Joe

5. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks Joe P
    I am going to put it before the distortion I have heard that compressors and Distortion pedals tend not to play well together.

Sadowsky Preamp >Bass IQ > Muff > Compulator > UniChorus >

I will have to experiment of course but at least I now know Im definitely putting it before the distortion and most likely the Bass IQ.
    - Tom