i know hardly anything about amps and need a bit of help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chip, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Chip

May 2, 2000
    ok i was just look at some amps that i would like to purchase... in a looooooong time
    but anyway, im looking to buy something that i would use in live gigs, i play heavy metal, so something that can handle that
    also whats with all this "bass head" "speaker cabinet"
    i was thinking or getting a bass head and a speaker if they go together?
    and... why do the head's have a wattage, whats with that?

any other info would be great too :D
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The speaker cabinet is what is sounds like. It's the section that makes the noise.

The head is where the actual amplification takes place.

Power ratings reflect the output of the amplifier. The higher the wattage, the more powerful the amplifier.
  3. Basically

bass -> head -> cabinet

The head powers the cabinet, like estring said.

trust me...get ampeg heads and cabs..
  5. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    how did i know the above post was going to be an Ampeg plug?!:D :eek:
  6. Um, those are huge rip offs. $1600 for a peavy 4-10? That's insane. Don't buy from there.
  7. Chip

May 2, 2000
    exchage rates are a bit different here
    remember $1US = about 50cents here
    so if its imported from america (or any other contry) you gotta make the conversion

how ever i did find another deal
    $2600 for a 400watt head with built in quad box, and another 600watt quad(4x10")
    made by pro audio
  8. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    How much do you wanna spend???
    Personally i wouldnt get either of those products that you linked too.
    I play Heavy Metal and i use an Ampeg SVT-2 Pro and an Eden 410xlt and i think it suits very well.
    I also suggest that you read about as many amps and cabs as possible before spending money only having to up grade later.
    check as many post as possible on this site. This site is extremely useful.
    anyway enough blabbering... GOOD LUCK!!!!
  9. Chip

May 2, 2000
    probly $2500 max
    and i'll have pleanty of time to think while i save up :)
    i can put away about $240 a month
  10. Looks like you will have a bit of dosh to spend. Go try out lots of stuff - see what sounds good to you! I am a fan of Trace Elliot (Duff McKagan from Guns 'n' Roses, and for a while Steve Harris from Iron Maiden used them!) I love the sound and the looks.

Ampeg does seem to be rated very highly on TB - I think comparitively speaking it's a bit cheaper in the States than it is here! It looks good and seems to be used a lot.

Also, I think Mesa Boogie stuff is fairly highly thought of, as are Eden, SWR, Ashdown, Hartke. Go see what sounds you like and what you can afford.

Anyway, I wouldn't part with my Trace rigg in a hurry - also it's my second. I wouldn't say that my band plays Heavy Metal - Heavy Rock yes, andit's good for that, but certainly playing along with CD it does sound good!
  11. Chip

May 2, 2000
    mesa boogie = ultra expensive, i would have to save for 2 years or something
    considering i wanna join a band as soon as i finish school (maybe a bit of time to party and chill
    :D )
    i reckon i gotta match my skill with an amp (i got a 30watt prac amp now, i dont see me getting far with that)
  12. Fair enough on the Mesa stuff!!

And even faired on the partying and chilling after school!!!!! You might find that joining the band will lead to much partying and chilling:D
  13. carvin is always good. Amazing price, lightwieght, and great sound. I have 3 2 by 10's
  14. Chip

May 2, 2000
    music costs too much money
    and there is crap all money in metal :)
    but thats what i like
    i will probly persue another career, at uni or tafe or something like that as well as music
  15. jalepina

jalepina Guest

Mar 6, 2002
    SW Colorado
    Help me guys!

I played with a band for a while, but they had all of the equipment. I can NOT go crawling back to ask questions, and the opinions on this site are to vast to take in.

I don't know if I should start with a combo... or go right for a head and cab. I am so confused! I play heavier music, and really need some guidance. Someone PLEASE e-mail me, if you think ya can lead a blond in the right direction... I'll be sure to post my findings!
  16. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    cant he just buy a pa and mic it to his amp?
  17. Chip

May 2, 2000
    well i taked to my teacher about big amp
    he reckons im better off getting a 100watt amp, and if i wanna play live i could just rent a big amp (like $15 a night)
  18. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    For metal in a full stack/half stack situation I'd say all ampeg however depending on monetary units [how much cash you have] you could get something even more costly. If you want an all in one cab from ampeg the Ampeg 1415 is a 4X10 + 1X15 in the same cab but i forget if they still make them. Try and play as many brands as you can. For combos in the 100-200watt range i gotta plug my own-Fender BassMan 200, 200 watts @ 4 ohms through a 15 for $600-700. Ampeg BA115 100watts @ 4 ohms [i think] for $430. SWR Working Mans 15 160 watts @ 8 ohms or 200watts @ 4 ohms with ext. cab for i dunno. Play as many as you can to get an idea for what your ears want. BTW i started off with a 15 watt BXR 15 [fender] and now use my BassMan 200 for everything from upright jazz band to 5 string in show choir band and 5 in garage metal/punk/rock whatever we feel like playing bands. thats all
  19. hey dude, you got a couple of 1000 bucks lying around for a mixer, Monitor, and The other speakers what ever they are called, and may be a subwoofer? thats what i thought. You just cant buy a PA that easily especially for just for yourself.

Liek i said Go all the way carvin