1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I Know How Marcus Miller Feels Now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Years ago, I remember Marcus Miller saying he was so used to his bass that even when he played a "better" bass, he missed his main bass' flaws. The above is a paraphrase of something he said in a Musician magazine article around 1981.

My point is that after close to a year with my TL-5, I know how he feels. This bass is the best bass I have ever owned. It has a wide body and similar neck size to my old Ken Smith, but tonally, it sounds like a nice active Jazz Bass like a few of the old Fender Jazz Deluxes I have owned in the past. It's one flaw is a hissy preamp when the treble is turned up, but that is very easy to work around.

My point is that there is nothing wrong with looking for the perfect bass, but sometimes learning to live with a good instrument that may have a flaw or two can be very rewarding.

MSIMSBASS likes this.
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That is truly a beautiful thing. I am headed in that direction now with my current stable.

3. That explains why I've been feeling like that lately. I received my favorite bass a few months ago and have been clearing out the rest. I thought I just felt liberated.

I withheld the urge to make a feminine hygiene product joke out of fear of a banning.:p

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have said before that I have wasted a lot of money and time buying new basses instead of keeping basses that had grown on me. Some of that was due to ignorance of set ups, and some was due to just the love of new stuff. The route to great playing is really hard work and any bass is just a vehicle to get you there. It makes sense to keep a well running, paid for car, just like it makes sense to keep a broken in bass you know well.

5. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth

This is where I am, finally. It cost me many thousands of dollars over many years to get here!

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Every bass has a flaw, if there were a perfect bass people would just make that one bass.

It is like everything else in this world, it has to have at least one flaw, just make sure it is a flaw you can live with and/or love. My flaws might be your features.

7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I have 3 high end basses and my old Pedulla bolt on goes to work
    90% of the time.
    Anybody want to buy 3 basses? Haha...

8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    good topic!:)

9. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    I learned the hard way because I still go back to my '98 Carvin BB75.

10. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    My custom fretless Warmoth/Moses J bass has become my primary instrument. The others are destined to live somewhere else soon......

11. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I know how you feel: I have that now in a 5 string...it only took close to 7 years, but I have a bass now that is like breathing. I don't have to think what note, it just is.

12. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove...

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Amen to that - very nicely said!

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have 3 Precisions and they all have personality. But, my 2002 is my 'can play in my sleep' bass.

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Just this summer, I had the good fortune of being given a Spector Rebop Deluxe V. It is a great bass that serves up a great midrange heavy, modern tone. Frankly, I love the bass, and I am so grateful that it was given to me, however, the neck and tone of my TL-5 are number one for me. I will certainly keep both since both sound great and both are like by the choir I ay for. It's just that the TL-5 is first among equals.