Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I know I got bad taste, but...

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by reitedasc, Oct 7, 2005.

1. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    I know I got bad taste, but could somebody recomend me some bassplayers like NHØP and Avishai Cohen?

2. What - you mean with ridiculous displays of chops? - off the top of my head how about Brian Bromberg or maybe John Patitucci, Charley Moffat (rather tasteful) or perhaps better Marc Johnson. Mind you, most of the greats can turn up the steam when they want to. How long a list do you want. I notice you haven't got Scott Faffaro in your list of greats. Don't forget Dave Holland and make sure you listen to Charlie Haden (the arch anti-chop) as a reality check to make sure you know what you like.

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Mike,
    You just read my mind. Last week we had two concerts here in St. Louis
    Wayne Shorter with John Patitucci, Danilo Perez and Brian Blade, and Pat Matheney With Christian Mc Bride, Antonio Sanchez and David Sanchez.

Both John and Christian are stellar players with monster chops and I must say very musical as well. My preference was Christian's playing with Matheney, but John did a excellent job as well.

This week I have listened to nothing but recordings with Charlie Hayden (Beyond the Missouri Sky, Quartet West, and yes even Land of the Sun) Charlie always manages to inspire me in ways that others don't. He is one unique musical soul.

Ric

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    S omeone

T remendous

A bsent

N ow

---

C annot

L ist

A bsent the

R eigning

K ing of

E xciting double-bass playing circa 1972.

---

Who could it be?

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Miroslav?

6. ohhh ohhhhh I know it's Sting right ??

7. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    YES I mean ridicoulous display of chops. I'm NOT saying this is the way to play tastefull!!!