Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I know, I know another "stu" question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stu L., Jun 5, 2002.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Are fretless basses really harder to play than fretted? I've tinkered on a few, and they felt the same to me. Am I doing something wrong?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Use the search function, my son, and all will become clear...

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    (horrible fake Asian accent on)

Thrank you, grasshoppa.

(accent off)

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I searched. I searched again. Still just have one question. Someone please spell it out for me.

Q: how do frettless basses play diff. from fretted ones? I'm about to order a neck, and I need to know if I'm going to cuss trying to be different.

Thank you all,
    Stu

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    On a fretted bass, intonation is a snap (assuming the bass is set up properly;)). On a fretless bass, you really need to pay attention with your ears, because it's EXTREMELY easy to play even a hair out of place, thus being improperly intonated.

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    RAM, you are my best friend. Hands down. I dont care what others say about you ;) .

Thank you so much for the reply. So, on a frettless it's easy to be out of tune. Right? Is that what I am understanding you to say? But the playing styles are similar? Thats what I'm worried about the most. And, what is this "mwhah" I hear about so much?

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I knew I wasn't just being paranoid:D:eek:

Well, that's very tough to explain. Go play a fretless Stingray and you'll understand.

did I say Stingray?:eek:

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, Stu, if you get a lined fretless, it'll make it easier beyond belief to get that intonation.

Lined fretless, the ONLY way to go. :)

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    My sig assaults rednecks. I wouldnt want to answer the questions about "why's thar no linez on that thar bass geetar?" That, and I personally dont care for the look of unlined. It's my bass after all.

I think I'll do it. A lined fretless neck on my P-Bass copy. This thing will be great when I get through. Thanks to you both.

Stu:)

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Where you getting the neck from, Stu?

I'm in the same boat as far as looks: I like the way an lined fretless looks. An unlined fretless just looks...naked....

11. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Allparts. My store is a dealer for them, and the retail they list means nothing to me. I agree, no lines do look naked, or down here "nekkid".

As for the bass, it's a black P copy. I have already purchased EMG pickups (got a great deal), and plan on a black Badass bridge, chrome pickguard, lined fretless neck, and black tuners. It will be different. BTW, I think a P style neck. I'm still not sold on a J neck yet.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sounds great! I've yet to see an Allparts wood product...I'd be interested to see how that turns out...

13. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Me too, it's my money after all :D

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    well, at best, you'll have a killer bass. At worst...eh, a truss rod and some firewood!

15. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Guys an gals, I decided not to customize that bass. I was going to do it mainly for the neck, but have fallen in love with another. I played the Fender Steve Harris bass. Already has the BadAss II, and the best neck that I've ever played. I have the EMG's if I decided to change them out too. I'll let ya know how it works out.

Stu:D

16. The Harrris bass is a madman! I really want one but can't find one. I think they come standard with the BAII and S/D 1/4 pounders, so I personally wouldn't put EMG's in unless you dropped in a preamp and activated the mofo. Which really isn't all that bad of an idea, come to think of it.

I'm considering somewhere down the line making my own Harris sig, without the sig. Lake Placid Blue, Red Mirror P/G, BA2 bridge, 1/4 pound pups, :D

*sigh* no money. :(

Keep us posted if you get the Harris.

17. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

18. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Just got home with the Harris P-Bass. I love it. BTW, Fender has discontinued it. I drove 90 miles into North Dallas to a Mars. No one else had one or could get one. But I got it! I love this neck.

Now, what to do with those EMG's......