I *know* i probably shouldn't ask this but i'm desperate!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Elle, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Elle

Feb 25, 2001
    Having searched through the 'strings' forum and read the FAQ I'm still none the wiser for my query. So please will someone help?!

I have had my Peavey Milestone III bass for just over 3 years now and have never changed the strings (shocking!). I've now decided that my bass should have a bit of an MOT and get some new strings, but I am completely stuck as to what type to buy :meh: Also, as I'm a student, I can't afford to spend too much, but obviously I don't want to but cheapo strings that won't last very long.

Any suggestions?? :bassist: (They'll be gratefully recieved!) :)
  2. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    hi man, well you need to be more specific, what style of music do you play how much money can you spend ?

there are few european sites that sell strings but the best prices are at the forum sponser's site - if you don't have tax at your country.

write some more and everybody will help you.
  3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I will always stand behind GHS boomers. They get my vote.
  4. Sounds like you must have really liked the strings that came on the bass, why not just match that brand and go with whats on your bass right now! You can get another 3 years out of a new set!

FWIW, I'm a Thomastik-infield user, Flats and The Power Bass series, they sound awesome and have a long life too.

5. My vote goes to Rotosound Swing Bass 66. They sound bright, which suits me, but they have an image problem.

The two common complaints are that they go dull quite quickly, and they have a high reject rate. I practice one night in two, and gig every other week, and my sets stay bright for about 6 months. In three years I have had one dead-sounding new string, and Rotosound sent me a complete set to replace it.

You refer to an MOT, which suggests that you are UK based. They are readily available here.
  6. Elle

Feb 25, 2001
    Hey guys, thanks for all your help. I'll definitely take on your advice! (And yes I do live in the UK lol)

In reply to Asaf, I play a hell of a lot of jazz bass (coz I'm in an amaaaazing youth Jazz Band) and am willing to spend around £20 (max of £25ish)

Thanks again!
  7. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Since you're playing jazz, I think you'd really enjoy experiencing flatwound strings. The ones to get are Thomastik-Infelds. They will cramp your budget a bit, but they last forever.

They have a lot of clarity to them and don't ring out as much as roundwounds, so you tend to get a bit more musical pitch and less boom.

I also really like nylon wound strings for jazz. They are even more upright bass sounding and you can get a set of Labella Deep Talking strings for $19 USD at carvin.com At other sites, they are over $30.
  8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If you're feeling nationalistic, you could try Newtone strings, made in England by a fellow named Malcolm Newton. They don't have a website AFAIK, but I imagine a number of UK dealers would carry them. Try doing a Google search and see what you find.
  9. www.newtonestrings.com

the string guages look interesting.
    also 8string and flatwound sets available.

I might try them (Rotosound swing bass user)
  10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Wow, thanks, MTR, I don't think they had that site a few months ago, when I bought strings from them.:cool:

You can also contact them and ask for custom gauges. There may be a minimum purchase, I'm not sure.
  11. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've bought various strings from Status, which I've found to be pretty good and very reasonably priced. I do find their flats a bit on the stiff side but they give a really good choice of double-ball end strings for my headless needs.

12. I just recently discovered a new brand of base from london. They are called Elites strings and u can only order them online unless u wanna travel. They are fairly priced at around $30 and are the best damn strings ive ever used. Elites stadiums just rock. The tone is so true and they stay in tune for quite a while. The feel is perfect for any style of playing and they last a while. Elites are the strings to buy, not many ppl know about them though.