Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i know i sound really dumb...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by intillectualmin, Oct 23, 2002.

1. intillectualmin

intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    i know i sound really really dumb right now, but can someone help me understand what a preamp is and does??

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    preamps are the knobs on the amp that affect how much each sonic frequency is boosted or cut to get your desired sound. they come on amp heads and are built into combo amps. you can also buy them separately to use with a power amp (which is the power section of a head or amp in watts) but in component form. some basses with active electronics have preamps built right into them as well. it is similar to equalization on a stereo but a little more complex. ;)

3. intillectualmin

intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    oh... i think i kinda get it now. But what does it mean when people say that their preamp clips or somethin like that... and since ive already made myself sound like a fool... what is the difference between gain and master volume? they seem to do the same thing.. anyway.. thanx for the help guys

4. kevinod

kevinod

Jun 29, 2002
    Cork, Ireland
    Hey,

from what I've picked up here and there its when the sound produced reaches the limit of the amp/speaker's range and you get distortion. I know it applies for the upper limit but not sure beyond that.

hope that helps,
    Kev.

5. kevinod

kevinod

Jun 29, 2002
    Cork, Ireland
    Whoops, that was clipping I was talking about.

Wrt gain & master volume might be best to quote my SWR Workingman's series 2004 head's manual;

"The gain control adjusts the volume of the preamp section. ~~~~ It can be used to assure the maximum signal to noise ratio with no distortion casused by the preamps circuits clipping." On this head it also adjusts the level sent to the effects send jack (on the effects loop at the back of most amps).

"The master volume adjusts the signal level going to the power amplifier. ~~~~ It does affect the output at the speakers jack and headphones jack. Losses caused by effects units can be recovered by increasing the master volume".

I've picked up a good bit from the amp's manual. Look at www.swrsound.com/products/wmseries/wm2004.html and the manual link there somewhere if you want to get hold of a copy.

hope that helps,
    Kev.

6. intillectualmin

intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    haha.. yea.. thats cuz im a poser.. hahaha
    anyway.. thanx for the help everyone, i understand now.. hehe