Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I know I'm gonna get crap for this one!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TheFrizzleFry, Apr 3, 2001.

1. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Alright, like the subject says, "I know I'm gonna get crap for this one" but... I really don't find Jaco to be "the best bassist of all time" as many people see him to be. I've heard some of his stuff and it was really cool, he does some sweet stuff with harmonics, like in Portrait of Tracy (that's the title right... I know it's portrait of somebody). It was cool, but he doesn't blow me away like Les Claypool, Flea, or Vic "Damn you for being so good" Wooten.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Hindsight is 20/20. In 20 years, your kids'll be wondering what was so great about Wooten.

3. It's strange to me that all you guys that don't "get" Jaco have to make a big deal about it like it's a good thing. The thing is that Vic, Les and a whole bunch of other very fine players might not be playing bass if it wasn't for Jaco.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The really funny thing is those guys "get" Jaco.

Perplexing, ain't it.

The thing that always gets me is some people's inability to put things in context. The other guys did not co-exist with Jaco, they came after. They also had the advantage of hearing and possibly being inspired by Jaco. Jaco had to have other influences (and he had some pretty good ones but they were no Flea or Vic).

I don't see why anyone would need to give you crap about your opinion, after all, you're the only one that has to like what you like;)

and that's perfectly okay.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would agree with Brad and I wouldn't give you "any crap" for not "getting" Jaco - it's your loss! But I would for starting yet another thread on this subject when there are two already just a line or two below this and loads more further back. Why not just reply to the existing threads and keep it all together? I mean somebody else started a thread with more or less the same title - so what's the point of this - sort of like - look at me I'm different I don't like Jaco - yeah just like everyone else! :rolleyes:

6. Hmm, I bought word of mouth the other day, me 1st jaco album. it has some amazing music on it, the bass playing is also amazing... it's a bit too weirdy-beirdy jazz for my liking.
    The 1st track Crisis - my God, nearly made me go mad.. like its supposed to I suppose? Conceptual? ...but some of it is great.. blackbird is such a fantastic melody.

I must say I dont really love Jacos playing purely becasue the music doesnt really get into me, but i can appreciate it.

I'd be surprised if everyone did like jaco, it is very 'jazz' and consequently not everyones cup of tea.

Complex music isn't easy listening.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    First time I heard Jaco I said, "wow, he can play a million notes a minute.... and it sounds like ****". I didn't "get it" I guess. I persisted cause I think I really WANTED to like him. It wasn't till I heard Black Market live that something clicked. I got off on the fact that he sounded like a machine with a ton of soul built in. I started really listening to some more of his live stuff - and couldn't help but to be blown away. Every now and again I find an easy song to try and copy his licks off of, then somewhere down the line he starts bugging out and I put my bass back on the stand - with a huge awe filled smile. I am truly astounded by that guy.

Now I'd like to "get" Stanley Clark. What I've heard from him thus far sounds like the coldest, dullest stuff. I have a feeling I might be missing something.

Just for the record - Flea will always be da man in my book! Attitude means a lot to me.

8. "Now I'd like to "get" Stanley Clark. What I've heard from him thus far sounds like the coldest, dullest stuff. I have a feeling I might be missing something."

No, I dont think so... I have a Stanley Clarke compilation called The Bass-ic Collection... tacky yes, but hey it sounds good to a bass player, right?

I used to have The Clarke-Duke project on LP and an ex-girlfriends dad made me a compilation tape of his favourite Stanley Clarke stuff...(a few years ago now!) so I've heard a fair amount of his music...

I think the vast majority of Stanely Clarke's work was in the late 70's and 80's electro era, which by some freak occurance of fashion was cold, dull and mostly crap... that's strictly my opinion of course, but I'm sure there are others who will agree...

Having said that I have a Herbie Hancock album from 1979 which is really electro - (it has those sythesized roto-toms on it.. or whatever they're called?) but it is great, really soulful and groovetastic, cant rememeber what its called, bt it has a gold-painted foot on the cover wearing a diamond toe-ring... mmm.. nice!

In short, I feel the same, I dont think Stanely Clarke was/is a good song writer, his bass playing, however cool, has little soul that I can hear and I don't get why he's so famous? He is pretty unique though, that's one thing about him I s'pose.

"Just for the record - Flea will always be da man in my book! Attitude means a lot to me."
    >>>I feel exactly the same, even though he's sloppy as a bill posters bucket when the peppers play live and there are a million technically better players out there.

9. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    What I don't "get" is this whole "greatest" thing. This is art, not sports.

Jaco was an incredibly talented musician. I love his work, and while I don't even pretend to emulate it, it does inspire me.

I can say the same for the work of many many talented musicians, some of whom aren't event bass players.

At the risk of sounding like one of those touchy-feely emotional guys (which I'm not) can we get over this whole "greatest" thing?

10. (Gets up from seat, tears welling in his eyes, and proceeds to give jcadmus a 1-man standing ovation)....

:)

11. I'll second that. It's impossible to quantify who is or was the greatest bass player.
    Now, that said.. Flea or Jaco? :rolleyes: ;)

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Jaco doesn't blow my dress up either. Sometimes less is more (and he was certainly "more"), and no one I know of would call him a "pocket" or "groove" player.

But it's obvious to anybody who knows the bass that he was a prodigy. Were he alive today, I would expect we would be hearing something totally different from the legacy he left us with.

You have to give him props, even if you don't like his styles, techniques, or tones. His playing seemed superhuman at times, other times he blew, (e.g., "Holiday for Pan"). The guy definitely opened doors.

13. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I think the most amazing thing about jaco was his harmonic concept. Like bird, you know. He was definately a musical genius.

He also pushed the electric bass to a new level, it is not so much how fast or how well he played. It was a one in all, how he worked to develop his own sound, how he could grove and yet solo.

anybody plays better that hendrix now days .. but you had to be there ... Then.

14. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    This is a great point Brad. Not just about Jaco, but in general it always bugs me when kids say a hugely respected band from the olden days isnt good compared to "insert current pop band here." Its as though they have no perception that bands build off each other. Anyway, just a gripe I've had and you articulated it well. Damn kids these days!

15. Huh???

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by rickbass1
    no one I know of would call him a "pocket" or "groove" player.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh...yeah, exactly, HUH?!?!?

I WISH I could play a samba groove like Jaco did! Rick have you ever listened to the first solo CD? Check out the groove and pocket in "Come On, Come Over". Happenin' stuff...

No he wasn't the greatest ever, no one is (jcadmus is dead right, all this "greatest" stuff is wasted effort...and I'm standing next to Xavier, so it's no longer a one man standing ovation), but he's definitely one I to look to for inspiration. If he don't "blow up your skirt", well, then bully for you. I'm not gonna knock you for having your own taste.

I'll tell you what irks me, when someone sees me playing fretless and says I'm a "Jaco-clone" without listening at all :rolleyes:. First off, I don't want to sound like Jaco, secondly even if I did it would be almost impossible! :)

17. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    I'm gonna try to reply in a summary kinda way...

Yeah I'm all about roots and influences, we all have roots and influences. You don't just wake up one morning and say "Hey, I heard good things about bass guitar, maybe I'll give it a shot". Well... except the inventor of bass... no clue who that is.

Another thing "Us kids listen to Vic Wooten"? How often have you been hanging out with teenagers and one of them said "Hey did you get the latest Victor Wooten CD?" "Yeah, I saw his video number one on TRL". The only reason I heard of Ol' Vic was because of this site.

Jaco, I dig him in small portions. The man can groove, I'll definatly give him that.

Who ever said something about we shouldn't be fighting over who the "greatest" bassist of all time is, you got a good point. I might of said that I didn't find Jaco to be "the greatest" I mean that as in "I don't know why everyone is so nut over the man". Honestly, I don't think anyone in here could say they only like ONE bass player. If I was like "Les Claypool is the greatest bassist ever, no one could ever top him" maybe for what he does, he is the best, and for it, he's my fav. But then again, Flea is one funky mo fo, Jaco can groove, Vic Wooten does... whatever he does is called, and Fieldy goes "click click clickity click click clonk". Everyone has a different style and does what they do best.

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

- Don't take it personally, Gard. I know the song. While it is about the funkiest I can think of for Jaco. STILL, to me, it is still the same old notey Jaco. It's like he said to the drummer, "You go your way, I'll go mine." I sometimes lurk at the drumcenterforum.com site to see what I can pick up. A while back, they were listing bassists they'd most like to play with. Among others, Jaco's name came up several times because, as they explained it, they could really be "out front" and doing their own thing. In my take on groove playing, I think of being locked into the pocket with the drummer. If I didn't I wouldn't be allowed to play the clubs, because no one would be on the dance floor, (nor would the club sell as many drinks :rolleyes: ). If you can shake your money maker to "Come On, Come Over," then the ladies in your life must be very satisfied. :D

Moreover, I don't think of "Come On, Come Over," as representative of Jaco's body of work.

I just enjoy Jaco in a cerebral way. IMO, he's a bassist's bassist. The average, non-musical, joe wouldn't care for the music. I don't really get any emotion from his playing, except for intellectual awe. Maybe it's because I'm a bassist that he speaks to my head more than my heart. I think "Jaco" and I start hearing, "Donna Lee" or "Teen Town," instead of "Come On, Come Over."

When I saw Weather Report, it was an awe inspiring concert, but no one was tapping their foot.
    His playing was so intense, it just doesn't "groooove" for me. He is a great to me for other reasons.

19. i cant totally say cause the only jaco song ive ever heard is "contiuum" and i love that song. but whatever you think is the best is the best, no matter what others say. its YOUR choice whos best. and until i hear all of jaco's stuff i cant totally say if i think hes the greatest or not, but until i do my fav is les claypool.

20. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Say what you will about his playing skills; Jaco's greatest innovation was to elevate the bass guitar to the status of a solo or lead instrument, much as Segovia did with the classical guitar, Django and Christian with the jazz guitar, and Hendrix with rock guitar.

Plenty of players are (and probably were) superior to Jaco, Segovia, Django, Christian and Hendrix. That's completely beside the point. It doesn't matter that they weren't the best; they were *different*, and they made a noise about it.