1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I know I'm probably crazy for wondering this...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Sep 17, 2010.

1. ...but how "worth it" are two bachelor's degrees in music?

I plan on earning a degree in electric bass/music industry in the near future (I've accumulated about 60 credit hours), but I recently discovered ETSU's Bluegrass, Old Time, and Country music program.

I'd like to finish out this degree since I've put so much into it (plus I'm getting in-state tuition when I transfer to a University), but I'd also like to earn the degree at ETSU with a focus on Upright bass and Mandolin.

Any advice?

2. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    What is ETSU? Just curious.

3. I have a degree in accounting. Work as an accountant. Guess it was "worth it".. but I'd rather be a rockstar. Too bad a music degree doesn't make you a professional musician :(

I would say the networking and connections you make during your program is probably worth more than the education if you looking at it from a career perspective.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    What do you plan on using your two degrees in music for?

TBH, probably not worth it.

5. Learning. Getting into grad school. I know that most music degrees are just letters after your name and there are plenty of people who can play better than people with said letters after their names.

For the first degree, I'd be learning music copyright, recording, etc while learning electric bass.

For the second I'd be learning old-time music, music history, and playing upright, mandolin, maybe even guitar.

One of my main "excuses" is I'd like to continue to learn upright, but I don't have chops to be a jazz player or a classical guy. Not saying bluegrass is necessarily "easier", I just think I'm better at playing roots, rockabilly, country, bluegrass, folk, etc on upright than I am with jazz.

My other "excuse" is this is the only place that I've found that offers mandolin as an instrument of study. Mandolin is my second instrument (I picked it up when I was about 15... I've been playing electric since I was 13 and upright since I was 18) and I'd really like to study that more.

I'd just like to be really versatile. I figure if I have playing and "academic" experience in commercial music and old time music, I could be marketable for work with more modern musicians instead of jazz or classical.

6. Education, imo, is never not worth it IF you want to be educated on a subject and like the program. Will it help your career? Probably not, unless you teach, but then you have more school to go don't you?

Addition - school is a GREAT place to network.

7. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    IME Don't worry about the paper, get what you need from the experience and diversity, I don't know what its like in the U.S. but the highest paid and most popular in 'working' circles here were the guy's who could uptake quick, be good on a personal level, and play....those Qual's (if you like) were the most considered, I studied in London for 3 years (I lived there 16), I can't say all the education was useful, but the people I met and their own view/experiences were a great opener to 'street level' inroads...and then into better/enjoyable circles....IMO that's how it went for me :)

Work as a musician is a very different world, in many ways IME, prep yourself :)

I should add, I didn't get anything there I couldn't have got from a good tutor on a musical/playing level.

8. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    hey my etsu brother! whats up! Dont mean to high jack, but how is the upright teacher at ETSU? I was thinking of switching over from electric :)

9. funk generator

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    Btw roy wooten is having a concert at the culp center at 7:30. Bassist is using a beautiful Nordy. You should come check it out :)

10. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I dunno, my school is beating the snot out of me until I can do anything anyone asks me to do on my instrument at a moments notice. By the end of this I am going to be ready for commercial work of any kind. If they give me a piece of music, I need to be ready to record it on the first take in ten minutes. What THAT'S worth, I don't know.

11. Hey there, I'm actually going to a 2-year school in FL right now, looking at my options at a University. I hope to go to ETSU soon though.

12. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Finish your current degree and then move to Nashville and jump in. The sooner you get started the better off you'll be and the better long term contacts you'll make. You'll probably meet some of the best session players in the world who would be more than happy to teach you mandolin and upright bass for a fraction of what the University would charge. And I'll bet they'd be full of war stories and advice to steer a budding career.

13. funk generator

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    Cool man look me up when you get here. Im a vocal major :) hoping to take some upright lessons on the side. Ill show ya around campus/ Johnson CIty

14. How is the music scene in general at ETSU and Johnson City in general?

I have a friend who is a KILLER banjo, mandolin, bass, flatpicker, and vocalist who may be interested in ETSU also (he's younger than I am: a senior in high school). He's kind of unsure about making the big leap from Florida to TN.

15. funk generator

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    I dont get to gig very much, so i dont know how easy it is to get work. But it is a small town. However a killer banjo mandolin player will probly able to find refuge in a country/blue grass band without to much problem :) after all this is the south

For better info on the gig scene contact fretman4god. Hes a killer bassist in this area! :)
    If you like shoot me a PM and ill talk to him a bit about it.

I love the vocal department here at etsu :) There are some awesome professors floating around here.. Unfortuantly the spelling department is lacking ;)

16. funk generator

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    Oh and i hear the upright teacher is a big recording guy, and was doing some recording gig in africa not to long back

17. As far as the music scene in the Tri-Cities, Its not that great.....

If you wanna make some real money in music you can't do it here...The upright teacher from ETSU even told me that

18. Assuming that I go to ETSU for my second bachelor's, what are the education requirements in TN? In FL all you need to teach is a Bachelor's and certification. Is the school big enough to offer jobs for students with bachelor's degrees?

19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    If you just want to do it to learn, then keep at it.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021