I know it’s not recommended but…

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theos, Dec 5, 2022.

1. theos

theos

Nov 26, 2011
    I did a dumb thing. I bought a combo for my daughter only using YouTube reviews. Got it home and the speaker farts out very easily. It’s an Orange Crush 50 watt with a 12. It’s purple, can’t remember whose name is attached to it. I pulled the speaker to look and see what I was dealing with. It’s a weak looking speaker for sure. I figured that it being an Orange Crush with some guys name on it, it would be better than a Rumble 40. Her friends Rumble 40 seems to have a better bass response with the 10 than the Orange does with the 12.

question… is there any hope in replacing the speaker or should I just sell it and get something different? She loves the purple cab, that’s the only reason I’m asking.

butterfingers1 likes this.
  2. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    theos likes this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I suggest selling it and buying something that you can listen to first before buying. There’s more to the response than just the speaker.

Swapping speakers MIGHT be an improvement but might be worse as well. Take what random folks on the internet suggest about how awesome speaker swapping is with a large grain of salt.

Take a look at the Rumble 100 or the similar models in the Ampeg Rocket Bass combo line. Both of these lines are probably closer to your needs. Even the Rumble 40 might be, but imo the 100 is a big step up. The 200 is even more of a step up.

4. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    The first question is whether there's a problem with the amp - bad speaker or something. There's not much intrinsically poor stuff out there these days.

5. I have to agree...I don't know what you're doing to the amp, but generally, "farts out very easily" doesn't seem right for any brand new bass amp with a 12' speaker.

Maybe bring your concerns to a support rep and look at exchanging it?

Edit: I don't think that there is necessarily anything sketchy about using YouTube videos to inform yourself. The general reliability of the source and any "off" motives that you might be able to determine are the important things. That said, I just watched an Anderton's review on YouTube, and unless they for some reason used trick editing and other deceptions to put out a completely bogus video (which I don't believe for one second that they did) an Orange Crush 50 should certainly not arrive with manifest sound quality problems. If there's nothing wrong with it, it should sound acceptable for purposes well beyond being a child's practice amp to most people.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  7. MrClassicMetal

MrClassicMetal

Feb 3, 2022
    If it's the purple one, then it's Glenn Hughes' name that's attached to it.

8. That's the one. I've read mostly good reviews on these.... a problem perhaps?

9. theos

theos

Nov 26, 2011
    That’s it.

MrClassicMetal likes this.
  10. theos

theos

Nov 26, 2011
    Maybe. Put it this way… she’s got an Ibanez sound wave 65 and it sounds better.

11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Maybe the voicing of the Ibanez works better for her?

12. theos

theos

Nov 26, 2011
    Could be. I need to grab her Orange amp and check it out. I haven’t had a chance to play through it. Just going off what she says.

rodl2005 likes this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I used to sell those things when I worked in music retail. They're terrible in every way. Super muddy. If that SW65 sounds better than ANYTHING it's a shame.

bdplaid and MattZilla like this.
  14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    IF you decide to try a speaker swap out, do it right. Measure the INSIDE dimensions of the cab. Measure any and all ports or vents. Call US Speaker. Give them the dimensions. They give you several options of drivers that work with the physics of the cab. That last part is the most important. Drivers are designed to work with certain cubic feet of air, sealed or ported cabs, etc. It's NOT just about what will fit in the hole.

https://www.usspeaker.com/

Not affiliated. Just a satisfied customer.

I have daughters. I get it.

15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

0000_1.jpg

16. AncientNoob

AncientNoob

Oct 20, 2021
    Rural Oregon
    Check her settings. I also bought the Crush 50 for my daughter (I know, weird right?) and hers actually sounds really good. She just got the standard orange tolex though, not the fancy purple.

drpepper and Aqualung60 like this.
  17. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Why not just return it. You need more watts anyways.

The post menu is not working correctly . Sorry for the underline.

Bluzeman90 and shadven like this.
  18. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    And you'll probably find that she maxed out the bass, gain and volume and hit a big E note..... "daddy, this amp isn't very good, it farts really easily" :laugh:;)

19. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Different folks have different preferences. Maybe so, but they sold a lot of them and the one I heard (not critical listening) was right in the ballpark for this type of amp.

6-3-2 and Ron Berenato like this.
  20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Ordinarily I’d defer to @agedhorse knowing he’s correct.

But if a purple amp makes your daughter want to play more it’s a better short term move to replace the speaker. I get it 100%. Good luck.

Dasgre0g, Jev1, 6-3-2 and 2 others like this.