I know it's broad, but I need suggestions. Jazz basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Oct 19, 2004.

1. O.k here's what i'm workin with. I play an American Deluxe P-bass right now. 22 frets (not sure what size scale that is), P pup at the neck and double jazz at the bridge, active electronics, 3 band eq, and it's string thru. I love the bass, it sounds great. But I need something different.

I need, absolutely need a jazz bass. I'm looking for a normal scale (no added frets), I've never had a passive bass so I think I'm going to go with passive pups, and I have about $1,000.00 to spend.

I think the biggest problem is the neck. Too long and too wide. I'd like a smaller neck to help me move around a little better, I've shorter fingers and I played football for a very long time so I've had some broken fingers. I like really low action but I like it to be tight as well, I know it can be set up but some basses react better to lower action than others. I really like the Fender j-bass bodies but I'm not real worried about that.

As far as sound I'm just looking for a tight low end and highs that are actually going to stand out. The only real problem with my basses sound is that the highs have no presence. They're twangy no matter what eq or strings I use. I like the almost bassy jazz bass sound in the highs. And a nice almost fretless wah in the mids.

I have yet to find a jazz bass with these characteristics other than a standard Fender J-bass but I'm not real crazy about those. I also haven't had the chance to play many basses other than Fender, Warwick, and Ibanez (what I've found at Guitar Center).

So please please please :help: . I'm desperate. Thanks and sorry it was so long.
  2. What is it about the Fender Jazz Bass that you dislike?
  3. I'd say go for an American Jazz. Plain and simple (and beautiful. P necks are wider than J's. So width won't be a problem (unless you think J necks are too wide). As for length I don't know of any short scale Jazz basses :(. Good luck in your search man!
  4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I kinda don't know what you're getting at. You say a Jazz neck is too wide? Actually the Jazz neck is way more narrow than a P neck.

See if you can find a '62 reissue Jazz at another store. I think with the rosewood fretboard/alder body, will have more the sound you're looking for.

As far as passive, just be sure you plug into the right input jacks on your amp... passive into the passive or "normal" input, and active into the active or "-12" input. Believe me it makes a difference when you switching basses during sets and such.
  5. No no no, I didn't say jazz necks were too big, my P-neck is too big. And the only thing I don't like about the jazz bass so far is the ones I've played feel cheap, as if they won't be holding up for very long. Thanks.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think if you up your limit to 1500 you will find you have a lot of options. I haven't tried one but most here with experience say the valentis made by nino brown are tops. The modulus graphite genisis vintage j is a great bass (although active with an aguilar preamp). The Lakeland skyline series aren't jazz copies but have a similar neck profile. They are active but they are also quite a bass, and can sound very "jazz-like". I'm not sure what the lower priced mike lull's go for but his basses are excellent. There's lots of other options in the 1 - 1.5 K realm as well.
  7. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I would suggest a G&L 2000 with #6 (jazz) neck. In some ways similar to what you have, but it can be switched into passive mode, great highs, even better lows, very stable 6-bolt neck that can be set up with very low action and a super nice bridge. Plus, they can be had at a very good price used (well under a $1000).
  8. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne signature - best 'jazz' bass there is for the money...
  9. I agree about Hamer USA CruiseBasses. Top shelf basses available for a song on e-Bay. They have excellent electronics and hardware and the finishes are excellent. Just be sure that it is a USA made instrument.
  10. Great thanks. Got a list and I'm going shopping.
  11. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

My personal fave is the G&L JB-2 -- very cool bass. Mine is super-light, too. I also like the L-2000 as well but it's a bit beefier in the tone dept than the JB-2. The passive mode on the L-2000 is not all that different from the active (at least in the settings I use). Either way, both are easily under a grand used. If you don't mind used, you can skip the Tributes and get the real thing, the US models.....

BTW, I tried the Geddy Lee Fender Jazz the other day -- surprisingly nice bass. Didn't have a lot of time to check it out, but I liked the feel of the neck better than any new Fender I've played in a while.....

Disclaimer: I have no connection to G&L other than that I own several....
  12. dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    You might also look for a used (maybe new for 1000) US Fender 75 Reissue Jazz. They play and sound fantastic (are are super pretty to boot).

IMHO, the best Fender Jazz bass out there...
  13. I might get slammed for this but whatever. I played a Corvette Standard today and loved it. It's real middy in tone but the head I have has a mid cut button that puts the tone spot on. I was just wondering if anyone knew about different necks for a Warwick. I like the actual neck size and feel but I don't want all those frets. Anyone know of a way to shorten it?
  14. all warwicks are 24 fret. some are 26 i believe. no way to shorten it. the number of frets really doesnt matter in the overall length of the neck.. a 34" scale bass going to be 34" scale, reguardless of wether or not it has 19, 20,22, 24,26 or more frets... just means you got more notes to choose from...

the lesser frets just equale on whole a shorter fretboard.
  15. Get a Valenti or American Jazz. If you like the Warwick then get it, but you'll have to deal with the frets.