1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I know its not a double bass....but those basslines!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by neddyrow, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. neddyrow

neddyrow Bike Commuter but not a Bike Enthusiast Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY

seriously...how does this guy play those bass lines?!?!?!?

i think i'd struggle enough on DB with all those notes - not to mention having the air and enough oxygen making it to my brain to keep everything straight.

just. amazing.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Those are great lines. Amazing player!

neddyrow likes this.
  3. I saw the Dirty Dozens play at the Portland (OR) zoo several years ago. Midway through the set, the power went out halfway through a song. They didn't miss a beat; just stepped up in front of the mikes and kept blowing. The Neville Brothers headlined, but the Dirty Dozens stole the show.

If you like this, check out the early recordings from the "Rebirth Brass Band", also from NO. Plus the Night Crawlers, Trombone Shorty, etc.

neddyrow likes this.
  4. Holy cow! That's amazing.

5. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Kirk Joseph on the tuba. Hear them live, and they often end a song while he starts the next one.

neddyrow likes this.
  6. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    RVA
    Also check out No BS Brass Band from Richmond, VA...my hometown!

It's clear that tuba can get funkier than DB!

neddyrow likes this.
  7. jlmorgan84

jlmorgan84 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Seneca, SC
    The tuba might be the one instrument that's cooler than a double bass. When you've got someone playing like that, there's just nothing that sounds like it. If there wasn't a moratorium in large instruments in our home, I might be tempted to look for one....but then of course I'm still working on getting my arco up to snuff, I'm not going to sound like that any time soon (or ever).

One Drop likes this.