I know nothing about amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Coward Of Reali, May 10, 2005.

1. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    I need to upgrade my practice amp. I have $450-500 to spend. I want something loud enough so I can play gigs. I play a THunderbird if that helps

Someone please help
  2. Go to your local music store and see what they got to start to form an opinion
  3. Ashdowns are nice. Check out the EB 180 combos. they are under $400.

I would also check out the Eden's lower line Nemises or the Silver series.

An aggressive dealer could get you into a Yorkville 400t combo for under $500 and those are fine amps.

I am assuming you want new and that you want nice plug-and-play combo and not an old beat up head and cab rig.

Eden (Nemises or Silver)
    Yorkville XS series
    Ashdown Electric Blue

Personally, I would stay away from any of the others at that price point.
  4. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    You can get a slightly more powerful combo for that price but if you save a bit more you can swing an Avatar/Peavey Firebass 700 setup that would offer you power needed for gigs

I would definately try to check your local music shop first to see what you like and don't like though.
  5. No matter what make sure it has lots of tubes.
  6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    And make sure that the amp and the speaker aren't in the same cabinet. Each one should have their own cabinet. If you buy one that has both the amp and the speakers in one giant cabinet you will kick yourself later. :eek:
  7. triggert

Feb 5, 2005
    I was recommended this for the same money you are looking to spend. I'm gonna go ahead and throw down an extra hundred and get the B212 w/ the Ashdown Mag300. Friend of my has that setup, sounds awesome.

8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    My recommendation is this: Educate yourself before setting foot in a store. Make sure you know enough to get what you're looking for, NOT what the salesman wants to sell you.

You're in the right place to educate yourself. I suggest doing extensive searches on a variety of topics including impedence ("ohms"), wattage handling, differences in speaker brands and sizes (i.e., 10s, 12s, 15s, 18s), brands (advantages, disadvantages, features, reliability), cabinet construction, head and cab combinations and values, connectivity, the list goes on and on.

Simply put, if you don;t know it now, you will by searching this forum. Trust me.

Again, you need to educate yourself before laying prostrate to some salesman.
  9. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    Thanks for the replys. Right now one of the Eden Nemesis's are looking pretty good. The only music store I have in town is extremely overpriced and the salesmen are assholes.
  10. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Ha, lots of us can identify with that. Just look around on here for what you think you want/ what would work for you and then see if you can try them out at a local store. If you are able to try somthing out and like it, then you can look on the internet(the for sale fourm here, eBay, bassgear.com) and get a great deal on your gear. Also check out reviews at www.harmony-central.com
  11. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    The AMpeg Ba115 is looking pretty tempting... what do you all thinK?
  12. Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    Just got rid of my Ampeg BA115 combo ,,,, for a much louder GK backline 210 combo ,,, love it :hyper: