1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I know nothing about amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by calebplaysbass, May 3, 2006.

1. well i am 18 years old and preparing to go to college. I need an amp bad but i find that with all the things needed before i head off to college(laptop, car, etc.) cash is tight. I need an easy to move combo amp with decent wattage and good sound.

What are some of your suggestions for this? I want something really inexpensive and have no idea what to do. Please help me out. Also is it really worth it to look for used amps or should i stick to new?

2. A used amp in good condition can be a great find. Most bass amps are built like tanks. What sort of wattage are you looking for and what's your price range?

3. um i don't think i'll need more than 100 watts for now though i don't wanna go much lower than 65. I could probably stretch the budget to about 400 bucks if completely necessary but would like to stick between 200 and 300.

4. cavemanfr

cavemanfr

Jun 3, 2005
    Indiana
    Check out the Fender Rumble series. I have the 100/115 and I love it. I gave $299 for mine from Zzounds. They also make a 100/212 but I haven't heard one of those yet.

5. mkrtu9

mkrtu9 Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    a lot of companies make good combos..my suggestion would be to go play them and decide what you like and don't like.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If you can stretch it, the Yorkville XM200C will probably last you a LONG time.

7. I've had two Yorkville amps. The first one I dropped down a set of concrete stairs on the way to a gig. It cracked one of the plastic corners, but just kept on rockin! They are solid amps.

Hartke has a better sound and is also built like a rock (except for the VX series).

And I've heard really good things about the Ashdowns. You can get 180watt Ashdown combo from Musicians Friend for $300.

8. Robguy

Robguy

Apr 29, 2006
    St Louis area
    I had a 60 watt Behringer that had a good sound, & cost $150 at my local GC.Didn't get to try the 120 watt version ($200.00).I also played through a 100 watt Gallien Krueger (Backline 112) that cost $279, but it was more than I could afford at the time,or I would have bought that instead.If you can find a used combo,then great!I've heard good things about Ashdowns also.Good luck in whatever you choose!!! :bassist:

9. ashdown, great sound, good size, brilliant quality etc etc etc

10. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    I have a Fender rumble 25 watt with a 10" speaker. It's great for my apt. here at school.

11. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Just for the record the new Fender Rumble is a 100/210 and it is not a bad amp. Also look at used peavey combos they are built to last and sound good for short bucks. Don't know where you are located but if in New England area check out Daddys Junky Music. They are decent to deal with and have good warrantys available.