Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basstastic, Jan 16, 2002.

1. I am looking towards buying an Amp Head and a Cab (400w ish). I dont have a lot to spend. I would like to know things like:

-What I need.
    -Advantages over combos.
    -Good (cheapish) makes.

Any other info you think might be relevent. Thanks.

2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    First what are your needs, what is your budget and what style of music will you be playing?
  3. Budget is around £1000 ($1600US?). I need it for medium-ish venues. I play rock and funk.

4. A head/cabinet unit is much more upgradeable, etc than a combo - you can add/replace things as your needs grow.

#1000 is a good hunk'o'cash to find what you're after. What you really need to do is to try out different amp/cabinet combinations to get an idea of each's sound (eg a Gallien-Krueger has a totally different sound to an Ampeg). Also, an all-tube head will sound different (bit warmer and fuzzier) than an all-solidstate (transistor) amp.

For medium-sized gigs a good start would be a 400w head with a 4x10 cabinet. Later on, (depending on the head) you can add another 4x10, or a 1x15, etc, as your needs increase.

Options you could try:
    Eden WT400
    Gallien-Krueger 800RB
    Trace-Elliot AH400SMX (i think that's the model)
    Ampeg B2R, B4R, B5R, SVT3-pro, SVT4-pro
    Ampeg SVT-CL (all tube)
    Orange OR120 (vintage)
    Hiwatt DR103 (vintage)
    Hartke (don't know models)
    Peavey (cheaper)
    Crate (cheaper)
    Carvin (cheaper)

Heck, the list could go on and on. Different brands have different strengths and weaknesses...also "cheaper" brands (such as Hartke, Crate, Carvin or Peavey) might sound and perform better to you than the more costly numbers.

But, since you're in the UK, check out an Ashdown ABM500 - 500w, damn nice.