Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I know sum ppl r gonna h8 me for this but...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jul 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    ... its sam rivers. (booo from the crowd) shurrup and lemme talk.
    how do u get his tone in faith, is it just the way he plays or his bass or wot?

2. i think people would be more likely to read your post if you would use real words. not to say that your use of such great internet abbreviations as h8, ppl, sum, and r isnt witty and halarious.
    second, you should give up on sam rivers and strive to attain the tone that mark hoppus got on the album enema of the state. it blows my mind, and will blow yours.

3. jljohnson85

jljohnson85

Nov 27, 2000
    Woodstock, GA
    I think he plays a Warwick Streamer Stage II with and Ampeg SVT, I believe those are the biggest contributors to his tone.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    smooth move, slamming on someone for their spelling, and then making a spelling error yourself.

nice.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    what ever happened to striving to create you own unique tone? are these days long gone?

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm with you on that one Casanova. Why try to emulate another bass player's tone? It is almost impossible to do anyway without exactly the same equipment, same "touch", same musical background and knowledge and same degree of experience and talent.

It would be far better to develop your own unique tone and let others try ( I say---TRY) to emulate your tone.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Psst, JO you spelled my misspelled name wrong. :)

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    So many posts, so few answers.

9. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    that's just your opinion, personally I think Mark Hoppus sucks serious Tom d1ck, but we won't go into that.
    thanx man, lol

and cassanova I would very much like to create my own tone but I need some help along the way. maybe a lil bit of sam a lil bit of Flea and take parts of what I like to make my own tone.

10. My dog says "Mark" "Mark"

He has a cleft lip.

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    damn, dude. hee hee :D lol good one.

12. well, maybe the dude's band is doing a cover of the tune, so he may wan't to get the tone for the sole purpose of a cover. Don't start bashing, it gets nasty...

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    lol...thats rich man

when i say your own tone i meant buy a rig/bass that sounds good to you and use your imagination and just create your own tone, with your own imagination and ear. One thats totally yours not a cross between 2 other peoples. But in a way, what you want to do would kinda be your own, so I get your point.

Every cover band Ive ever been in, I never used the original artists tone, Ive always used my own. And the song still sounded good, One in particular is when we used to do Queensryche's The Mission, I didnt come close to sounding like Eddie Jackson and yet the song still sounded great. If you have a good tone to begin with, and do covers it doesnt really matter if you sound like the original bass player, as long as you do the song right. at least thats my opinion. And for the record I wasnt bashing anyone. I was just making a generalization as it seems I've seen quite a few posts here asking "how can I get so and so's tone." What I originally said wasnt intended to offend or hurt anyones feelings. Most people that know me on here would know that.

14. That is funny for so many reasons.

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you could say it's "halarious". :D

16. Exactly, that's your opinion. But would you cover "Dazed and Confused" with a tone more suited to, say, Mark King? It's just a matter of choice. I like coverd to sound similar, but not the same. We add the songs we cover a bit of our style too, but we like to keep them as true as possible without copying them.

I wasn't directing these comments to you in particular, i was just saying it as a whole. Every time someone posts something like "How can i sound like ______" we always get someone who competely bashes them. I wasn't actually saying this to anyone, i was just trying to give some advice....

I know, i'm kinda tired of these posts too...maybe we should have a "Beginners FAQ and Forum" and a "Bassist Outline" (dictating the bassist's equipment and style)

17. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Did you ever read how Eddie gets that tone? He uses a "fart box" - essentially an internally mic'ed cabinet, completely sealed (so you can't hear it that well outside the box) with a 15" cone that's all ripped and crappy - they send a high-power signal from his rig into in, then blend the mic'ed signal back into his stage tone. Weird.

Speaking of Queensrÿche, word on the street is that the long awaited (by us, at least) tribute album that we recorded a tune for may actually (finally) be released soon, probably November.

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I read somewhere how he got his sound, but i didnt remember how. I think he's got the premo bass sound, and I never tried to emulate it because alot of musicians around here think my god, cant this guy come up with his own sound, whys he gotta rip off someone else.

20. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I agree 100% with the fact that you should find your own tone and let others try to emulate you. If I could find my own tone, it would sound a lot like Beefcake's on Carnival of Chaos and We Kill Everything. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.