1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I know the sound I want... but what do I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MiniMoose234, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Wall of text warning, i'll summarize what I want below so you don't have to read my ranting lol.

Alright, as several people on here know, I sold my ATK a while back after it kept giving me more and more technical problems. So to go with my highway 1 P with flats, I'm looking for another bass to fill the void the atk once filled.
    I would go for another ATK, but after the electronics problems mine had and a few high frets, i'm not sure I wanna risk getting another potential dud.
    I want something that can do a smooth but punchy jamiroquai-esque tone, a more aggressive in your face kind of funky rock tone, basically be able to be aggressive and really punchy when you want it too and be able to get laid back when you want it too.
    Now I know that can be just about any bass, so to specify more, I want something with real... oomph, balls, power, strength, I guess are some ways to describe it haha. It can't be thin sounding, it's gotta have that power in it.
    Now I want an active for that versatility, but if anyone can suggest any passive basses that do this, I'm all ears!
    The only other things are strong preferences.

so, to summarize :
    1.Must be pretty versatile, but I definitely want an aggressive punchy sound.
    2.It can't be thin, it's gotta have some oomph and power and balls to its sound
    3. I most likely want something active, but if there are some passive basses you can suggest, i'd love to hear.

and preferences:
    1. 24 frets will be a huge bonus.
    2. I most likely want a 5 string, but most basses have atleast a 4 and 5 string model, so I don't think that will be an issue.

I'm 99% sure i'm gonna buy used, to get more bang for my buck. My budget is gonna be most likely $1200 at the highest, but if somethings a lil more no problem.
    So suggest away! :hyper:

2. ajunea3

ajunea3

Feb 14, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Not sure what you're budget is, but it sounds like you want a stingray.

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    A vintage 2-band StingRay to be exact.

4. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    A Music Man of some sort.

5. I've thought about musicmans. I've looked at the sterling and bongo as well as the stingray. I actually really like the bongo shape haha.
    Would some kind of musicman with more than 1 pickup be a good possibility?
    And any particular reason you recommended the old 2 band eq stingray? I've heard they're better but haven't been clear as to why.

6. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Warwick Streamer Jazzman?

7. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    A used Spector Euro would be right up your alley.

8. I've looked at warwicks and played a few i've really liked. I've been hoping to find a used streamer or corvette jazzman or $$ I could try out.

I've never been able to get into the spectors. No idea why, they just don't seem right when I play them.

9. How about the new Carvin SB Series basses?? Jazz-style basses (w/preamp & ash body) have always scored that type of tone for me.

10. You should be able to get an Alembic Epic 5 string for between $1,200 and $1,300. One just sold on ebay for $1,275. I have owned two of them. They are active, have a 3 band eq and are very versatile. I have been playing for over 30 years and have tried just about everything on the market. I bought my Alembic 6 years ago and it's the only bass I have ever owned that I wouldn't consider selling.

11. First thought is a Bongo. Most underrated (by the general masses) bass out there.

Then, to second or third or whatever, a stingray.... I would say an SR5hh, if you want 5 strings.

You won't regret having EBMM products, and either can be had for 1k or so used.

12. Can the bongo get the growl the stingray has?

13. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Alleva Coppolo

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    That's what I was thinking. A real, honest made in SLO Stingray... Or maybe a Sterling... They can be had used for ~$1K...

15. The main reason i'm more interested in the bongo out of the musicman stuff is because the bongo has a 24 fret neck. I wish stingrays had 24 frets :/

16. I own 2 EBMM Sterlings and they are my go to basses. You will be surprised at the tonal range it gets with just 1 pickup. I play in a band that covers P-Funk, Hip Hop, Aerosmith,RHCP and everything in between. You can score a nice used one with some cash leftover for something else..

17. Spector!

18. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    More organic and less electronic sounding, gives more thump to the lowend booty.

19. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    find a cheap used roscoe :)

20. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    That' s a great choice too! :bassist: