I know there are twelve string basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by roxnmatt, Jun 30, 2002.

Do we love our jobs

Poll closed Jul 5, 2002.
  1. I like my job cause of the people

0 vote(s)
  2. i like my job cause of the work

1 vote(s)
  3. I just plain love my job

2 vote(s)
  4. I hate my stinking job

1 vote(s)
  1. roxnmatt

Jun 29, 2002
    I was watching a dream theater video the other day and the bass player was using a twelve string bass, except that it had no body, and he was (hammering??) all of the notes. no plucking or strumming. I probably sound really dumb right about now, but the bass didn't look like it had the strings coupled, and it seemed that it encoumpased all of the strings of a six string bass right next to the strings of a six string guitar. Is this possible????
  2. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  3. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    did it look something like this?
    it's a Mobius Megatar.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    And what, pray tell, does the poll have to do with this thread?
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yes, exactly what did the poll have to do with this thread??

Edit: Poll closed. In the future, if you are going to post a poll, at least make sure it has to do with the subject of your thread, and that there is actually a point to having a poll.
    Thank You;)
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It is indeed a Megatar. However, I believe that Myung (the bass player in question) uses a Chapman Stick, not a Mobius Megatar.
  7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Haven't seen the video in question, but there is also an instrument, made by some company called Sartucii(?) called a "Treblebass" that is bassically a bass and guitar (normal tuning) right next to each other on one fingerboard.
  8. traktor

Jul 22, 2001
    Weed, California
    U.S. Manager for Mobius Megatar Touch-Style Basses
    The instrument is a Santucci TrebleBass, after the founder Mr. Sergio Santucci, and you're right, it's a four-string bass and then a six string guitar. As I recall, the scale is about 27". I had one and played it once upon a time. The only picture I could find is this one of Stanley Jordan (who now plays, I think, standard 6-string guitars by Vigier):

Some folks mentioned Stick and Mobius Megatar. John Myung plays the Stick, I think, which has two sets of strings, normally one tuned similar to guitar, and then bass strings tuned in 'Inverted Fifths'.

I'm the guy who makes the Mobius Megatar, which is similar. It has two sets of strings, one tuned similar to guitar, and then bass strings normallly tuned like any six-string bass.

The Stick company, and another tapping instrument company called Warr Guitars, also make an 8-string instrument tuned in fourths, which should be pretty simple for any bass player. Dave Bunker up in Washington state makes a two-neck job (bass and guitar).

I'm not certain whether Santucci is still making instruments; I haven't heard from him in quite some time.