1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I know there is some awsome Guild Pilot basses out there. Lets SEE them

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 00Funk, Jun 15, 2007.

1. 00Funk

00Funk Inactive

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    I scored this gem today. 1984, and Flawless

2. 00Funk

00Funk Inactive

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    4a5c_3.jpg

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I know that Lokire has one... He brought it to the Portland GTG in April... "Well Loved" is how I would describe it... Hopefully, he'll see the thread and post pics...

-robert

4. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    Very cool! I didn't even know these basses existed! This is a great reason for a forum like this!

5. Yep. It's not the Guild version but a later DeArmond Pilot Deluxe. It was my first bass, bought it new about 8 years ago. Strung with TI Jazz flats now and it still gets plenty of play time. Love this bass! :D

DSCN1310000000.jpg

DSCN0980.jpg

At the GTG:
    DSCN12044444444.jpg

:hyper:

6. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I concur Lokire - fabulous bass for the pitiful amount of money i paid

Pilot2.gif

Pilot5.gif

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Ozarks
    well, I sold the one that I had to someone here at talkbass, (don't remember who) Anyway, they are real nice basses. very comfortable to play.
    100_5917.jpg

8. 00Funk

00Funk Inactive

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Nice flame in the neck

IMAG0035-8.gif

9. 00Funk

00Funk Inactive

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Well, its not as flawless as I thought. Look at that bow in the headstock. I guess I can live with it. I dont think its going to get any worse.

I spent all morning setting it up, like I want it. Action was too low. On fretless, I like it a little high. It sure is fun to play

IMAG0037-7.gif

10. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I remember Jerry playing these back in his Steve Morse days. Jerry, care to weigh in? Do you still have any Guilds?

11. 00Funk

00Funk Inactive

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    This is my first fretless with flatwounds. The fretboard has never seen rounds, and its NOT going to.
    Im having a hard time getting use to flats. They sound so DEAD :)

I like the way they feel. What are the very best flats you can get, that have a little brightness to them ?

IMAG0032_1-5.gif

12. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I have a 'pointy' headstock Pilot. My headstock does the same thing. I believe this is the reason they went with the 'Butterknife'(?) headstock in later years. In having that headstock, I'm sure yours is an early model.

The pics below show my Pilot. Solid flame maple body. Factory active EMGs. It plays and sounds nice.

13. 00Funk

00Funk Inactive

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Thanks for letting me know that. I dont feel so bad now.
    Thats a pretty bass

14. 00Funk

00Funk Inactive

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    I have a brand new 4 knob EMG BQC preamp. Im going to drill another hole, and slip that baby in there, like this one

l_301b2eb3d0ccddac6215dc5995d0450d.png

15. bassguppy

bassguppy

Jan 8, 2003
    Queens

that looks sooo good!!!

I had a 1987? Pilot w/EMG's P & J. I wish I had a pic. It was a beautiful quilt top maroon (or reddish) in color. A great playing & sounding bass. I got rid of it cause it wasn't cool enough. Got a Spector instead & regretted it.

16. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I don't know if I'd drill one of these. It's up in the air right now whether they become more collectible. You can put an external pre if you need to.

BTW - I like the pic you included with the block / bound neck. I've never seen one like that.

17. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Nice bass...and nice photo too. How did you handle the lighting for that shot?

18. 00Funk

00Funk Inactive

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    I cant beleive, Im actually liking theese flatwound strings. They really sound good with a pic.

I have the coolest setting on my effects, this bass sounds incredible on.

SYB-3 > and bass synth wah > Q Tron

Man it sounds fabulous w/flatwounds. 28 years, and just now trying flatwounds

IMAG0037_1.gif

19. 00Funk

00Funk Inactive

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    I bet your sorry you sold it. Man this bass is so much fun to play. Heres me playing this morning. i love this bass
    http://www.youtube.com/doubleofunk

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021