Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I know there's not alot of country fans here, but humor me and read this please

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Trent-35, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Look, here's the deal. The jerks of Gaylord corporation are talking about changing the format ot 650 WSM AM to an all sports radio station. WSM AM has been the flagship station of the Grand Ole Opry since 1925, so we're talking about an institution here. It's still profitable, but Gaylord is determined to kill anything country music related in Nashville in favor of sports. So, we're talking about trying to preserve history here. 650 WSM is one of the few stations that still plays real country music, and not just the new garbage, not to mention the broadcasts of the Opry, Midnite jamboree, Bluegrass, and lots of other stuff. Hell, there's already some sports on there now. We have 2 all sports talk radio stations in Nashville already. There has been talk of them possibly shutting down the Opry as well. They put it in a mall, kill tourisim, then complain about the Opry's attendence. Hello? McFly?? This kicks me in the gut more than i can say. Makes me legit sick. What's next in the world? Just 50 states of strip malls? Anyhow, there's a petition online about not changing the format, please take just a second to sign it. Gaylords CEO is having a meeting at the station today. I'm going to keep playing REAL country music, hopefully i'll always have a venue to play it in, and someone will want to hear it. Thanks for reading my rant. Trent
    www.petitiononline.com/savewsm/

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Glad to sign it Trent. As a Tennessee native and one who grew up on real country, I was saddened by what I read.

I would encourage as many TBers as possible to take part in this. WSM is an icon of country. Even those who don't care for the music should have enough appreciation for music history and country's influence on rock and roll to support this petition.

Thanks Trent for your efforts.

BTW, I lived in Nashville for five years, he is right Gaylord. Losers. They already turned TNN into some freakshow USA Netword wantabe. Now they are going after WSM

Chas

3. Thanks man, actually signing the petition is a vote for live music, which i'm sure that everyone at Talkbass supports. An all sports radio station won't have any love music on it. WSM 650 AM has prob 20 hours of LIVE music on it a week. They are trying to kill one of the last real things left. Tent

4. Keep with a national tradition!

Brian J. (aka) Chopper

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    This can't be for real. But I signed it anyway. I would think the very powerful country music folk in Nashville wouldn't let it happen. It would be a sad day if it did.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I signed it. I listen to the station on the web at least once a week. It would be a shame if Eddie Gaylord changes the format. He is evil anyway.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Done! Signed, with my real name of course. - Josh Ryan.

8. geeze...i signed it. Did gaylord change tnn? i didn't know that

9. GTi Giant

GTi Giant

Jun 20, 2001
    Dublin, OH
    I signed as well....

10. I don't like country, I don't live in the US, I've never heard of this station but I signed it gladly because I know how pissed off I would be if someone would do this to my favorite radio station.

11. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    As a former jazz/classical public radio announcer in my college days, I know all to well the spector of change for the worse. I don't think there was a single fundraiser that went by that I wasn't fearfull of losing my job to an all-news, no local programing format (which, after I left, ultimatly happened...not a glitch of live music and hardly any local programing. Yes, NPR is really great and I still listen, but nada/zero/ziltch local music being broadcast anymore. Sad...).

:(

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    signed. i got family who want me to get them into the grand ole opry thing when i become a country star [their dream for me]. thats all

13. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Signed!

Clear Channel is one of the largest offenders when it comes to stuff like this. They just recently conned our city council into approving a joint management deal for our local Civic Center. As part of installing a NBDL (NBA "farm team") team, Clear Channel is contracted to provide minimum of 20 concerts per year here. It's been almost a year...zippo concertos. Lots of scheduled shows, an equal number of cancellations. No class at all.

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Signed it... I hope it helps. Boy I can't imagine them throwing away a profitable broadcast let alone, closing down such a historic venue. I hope they get a clue before it's too late.

15. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I signed it.

If it was a mainstream country station, I'd say "kill it, and the sooner the better". But the Grand Ole Opry truly is a piece of Americana that should be preserved, whether your a country fan or not.

I grew up listening to Charlie Pride, Haggard, Husky, Horton, Jones and Cash. I still love that stuff. It was real. I hope it is preserved.

But if I hear just 1 Kenny Chesney or Alan Jackson song on WSM......I want my signature back !!!

:D

Dave

16. bcarll

bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Jumped right on that opportunity to sign the petition and will forward this decision to change the format of this station to many friends. Thanks for making us aware that this was going on.

17. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    Signed it too (receptions a little crackly in the u.k. though).
    Can somebody give me the web address so's I can listen to it??

18. Thank you very much to everyone who signed the petition, or just took the time to read about it. We reallly need to hold on to things "Americana" in America, or we risk losing our identity. Hope it's not already too late.
    The latest is those nice folks at Gaylord had a meeting at WSM yesterday and threatened the staff saying anyone leaking anything to the press would be fired.
    There's some now trying to get Entertainment tonight and other shows to pick up the story, i'm seriously thinking of contacting CNN about it myself.
    For the person that asked how to listen to it, either go to www.wsmonline.com , or www.opry.com Listen to a bit of the Opry or Midnite Jamboree this weekend and see what it's about.
    The following i cut and pasted from Twangtowns site, they set up a new petition that goes directly to Gaylords CEO, though i'm sure they can forward the other one to him as well. Thanks again for your time. Trent

A Real Country Music Fan's Three Step Plan to SAVE "The Air Castle Of The South..."
    WSM 650 AM Radio...
    Have a Plan...And Then Work The Plan.
    What are you waiting for...???
    Pass the word to the world...the world needs to know.
    Long live WSM 650 AM & The Grand Ole Opry...!!!
    Step # One:

NOW IS THE TIME FOR ALL OF US TO TURN UP THE HEAT.  YOU HAVE ALL DONE SO MUCH GOOD WITH YOUR EMAILS AND CALLS AND NOW GAYLORD HAS INSTALLED A TOLL FREE LINE FOR YOUR COMMENTS, SO WE HAVE MADE A DIFFERENCE TO THIS POINT.  PLEASE PASS THIS NUMBER ON TO ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS WHO MAY NOT BE ONLINE OR WHO READ MY NEWS OR DICK SHUEY'S, BECAUSE MAYBE, JUST MAYBE PUBLIC OPINION MIGHT BE ABLE TO CHANGE CORPORATE TERRORISM.  PLEASE MAKE THE CALL AND KEEP THE EMAILS COMMING.  THE NUMBER IS AS FOLLOWS:

1-877-457-0001
    Step # Two

Send Your Personal Comments pertaining to WSM Radio & The Opry To:
    Colin Reed 
    Gaylord Entertainment Compnay
    One Gaylord Drive
    Nashville, TN 37214
    email:   creed@gaylordentertainment.com
    Phone: 615-316-6000
    Step # Three

Save WSM 650 AM Petition
    http://www.petitiononline.com/wsm2/petition.html
    The first Petition went to WSM Radio...This one Goes to Colin Reed the CEO  At Gaylord Entertainment