I know they're ugly...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kegbarnacle, Jan 20, 2004.

1. kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    But what is the consensus on the playability and sound of the Parker Fly Bass?

Maybe the Arizona sun has fried my brain, but I didn't know they made a bass until I saw a picture of one in a few shots of NAMM. I have a friend who has a Parker Fly Deluxe guitar, and I love it. I'm an average guitar player and I sound better just because of it. It was really fast and easy to play - maybe the best action I've ever seen on a stringed instrument. I could get great crunch out of it and I also thought the clean tone was nearly acoustic.

I did a search of the Basses forum, and 90% of the posts generally say something to the effect that it's the single ugliest instrument on the entire planet. 5% of people had seen one at a local guitar store. 4% were people reiterating that yes, it is absolutely ugly. 0.5% of posts were to agree that it was in fact profoundly ugly and to throw in several creative english textbook adjectives to support that position. The next 0.4% of posts included made up words such as "fugly". The final 0.1% began to approach the sound and playability.

I too think that it's ugly, but if the playability and sound of the Parker bass at all rival the Fly Deluxe Guitar - relatively speaking - then I'm sold. I'll get over the looks.

Does anyone actually own one? Has anyone done more than fiddle around for a few minutes at a guitar store? Should parker stick to building guitars?

Once again, yes, they are ugly.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have played one and while it was a good bass, i could think off better basses out there.
    I played the four string through a old ampeg fliptop. I realize this probably the wrong amp setup for the parker's hi-fi sound, but it was in a backroom and this was the only amp in there.

Neck felt smooth and very playable, but i could barely understand the 8+ knobs and switches.

Pros- good sound and playability

Cons- too many controls without diagram, not very comfortable sitting

hope this helped (probably didn't but oh well)

P.S. Bassplayer reviewed one a few issues back.
  3. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    I'm in the same boat as you keg, love parker fly guitars, but the bass..... I want to love it, but it tries soo hard to make me want to stab out my eyes when I look at it.
  4. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
  5. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I've played one at a local guitar store and another at some guy's house. Too many controls, uncomfortable to sit down with. Tone, well, I guess it was good but I couldn't figure out how to make it sound REALLY good. Ugly as a tumor which grew legs and escaped (the horns), and the ergonomics are not there. Plus they cost quite a pretty penny. or, like, 250000 pretty pennies.

You won't see me buying one any time soon.

On a side note, I played a few of their guitars, one of which was light green and light as a feather. Price tag was 4 times what I'd pay for it, but it was very cool, and looked awesome. I'm no guitarist, but I liked it.
  6. I played one, and to be honest, I hated it. I couldn't get a decent sound out of the thing. There were a ton of knobs, and I couldn't figure out what any of them did. It sounded really thin. The neck was uncomfortably thin, with edges that need rolled or something. The body is also a terrible design. That top horn digs into you really bad. I'd expect better for $2500