i know this is a weird thing to ask but....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by juanpauribe, Mar 23, 2002.

1. juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    we have this cool song but i wasnt present in the making of it so i have to add the bassline and its done. I have written some songs but they rely heavily on the bass or are made taking the bass as a starting point.

So, because this song is all finished (except the bass) weve agreed that the bass shouldnt be too complicated, but at the same time, not just shading the guitar. And it seems that im not able to do this right!!! I cant invent a good bassline under these conditions and i dont know why. well, maybe it is because i have never learned ANY theory and never been with a teacher. So please, could someone advice me on this? the style of music is rock and to give you a notion, the introduction is just an alternation between two simple guitar notes strummed very quickly. Im not so desperate but any help will be nice
  2. Try playing the harmony note under the guitar riff instead - change the rhythm of the notes - slide between the notes instead of just your normal change - I dunno if this helps.
  3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Take the root notes from the guitar and add in a few hammer-ons, pulls offs, slides, bends ect. Slap, tap or something?
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Take some time, and listen to the song again. This time listen only to the drums. Listen very very intently. Listen to it several times. Over and over. Then, just listen again to the drums in combination with the rhythm guitar. Try this method to get a good feel of the groove, then just play it how you feel. Start very simple, maybe just with root notes only.
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  6. juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    thanks a lot guys it really helped. Ill tell you more later when the songs completed
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like Jazzbo's advice.
    About which notes to play as the guitar plays "two simple notes strummed very quickly"...
    Try playing the LOWER of the 2 simple notes as a Pedal Tone; that is, YOU stick only to the ONE note as the guitar plays what he's written.
    You can play the Pedal Tone in a variety of rhythms, too...

a)1/4 notes(1-2-3-4) against the guitar's "strummed very quickly notes" gives an illusion of two timelines.

b)1/8th notes(1&2&3&4&) is an option.

c)1/16th notes(1e&a2e&a3e&a4e&a) is an option(RATM uses this technique. The bass player 'pedals' or machine guns some 1/16th notes while all Hell's breakin' loose on the guitar).

d)Some combination of the aforementioned is yet another option...it is here where you & the drummer can decide where to take it.
  8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I'd say just to keep with the notes of the guitar and everytime they go to a new note,just make a little fills or play a few notes high up on the fretboard.That always sounds good.