Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I know what I must do

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Zirc, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Last night at the HORSE the band show, I had a vision. I know what I must do now. There's no turning back. This is the beginning. The only way to go is up.

I've been playing bass for about 6-7 years and I am fed up with broken bands. If you want something done right, you have to do it all yourself, therefore I will buy a guitar, drum machine, cd player, mixer, and create music. I will play shows with bands and scream over my recorded music. Before every show I play, I will tell the audience "I'm all alone up here, so if you can play better than me, join my band."

When I get a recording, I'll post it here. Sorry if I'm wasting anyone's time with this post, but I needed to tell someone.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm headed in the same direction. Not because of dead end bands, but because I always want to make music at 4:00 AM, and it's pretty much impossible to find a band that wants to practice then.

So, I'm probably gonna hook myself up with some gear over the course of the next couple years. First is gonna some recording inputs for my computer (not sure what yet) then a guitar and some effects pedals (getting a V-Guitar unit would pretty much solve that issue). I can't play guitar worth a damn, but not being able to do something worth a damn hasn't stopped me from playing bass or doing vocals.

I figure it'll be ass, but at least I can do something with myself when I'm awake at 3:30 AM.

3. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Good deal. Recording inputs for the comp? I think I'm going to just mic each instrument with an SM57 and then mix it on the comp.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Eh, I think it'd be less noisy with an actual recording input/digital mixer thing. Apartment living and all, I can't really afford to mic cabs, y'know?

5. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Understood. Good luck though.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Same with you. What kinda music you aiming for?

7. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I... will... not... respond....

8. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Even then you'll need a decent soundcard, or how else are you going to get the sound onto the comp? ...please, for the love of all our ears, don't use your soundblaster!

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Get yer mind outta the gutter.

10. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    I pretty much do what you guys are talking about. i live in an apartment so i cant mic my equipment either. i use a soundblaster Audigy, which isnt great but does ok for all i need it to do, plus i have a prioritized list of toys that i want and recording inputs are kind of low on that list. :)

i write too much eclectic music and dont expect any bands would want to play this stuff live, so i record. plus its great practice for the time when i will (hopefully someday) get back into a real studio.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I hear that. My problem is I love all types of music, and have a hard time limiting myself. For some reason, a lot of people can't grasp my love of bands like Strapping Young Lad, and then turn around and really dig Amanda Ghost. It throws people for loops when they hear Cryptopsy followed by the Ductales theme song.

I sort of have a visual in my head for the music, and I'd like to see what happens if I could make it (weird side note, I "see" music more than I hear it, but that's another thread altogether).

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's what I'm doing too. I'm not into playing what's out and around and available right now, so I'm doing it all myself. You guys should check out our recording gear etc. forum, tons of good stuff there. You can get the benefit of real studio pro's advice in there.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's my plan. No one wants to make my kind of music, so I'll make it. I want to create a CD that could be performed live (not Matt and The Monkey Mafia) and get people to hear what I want, if they want to come aboard, awesome.

14. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    An audigy 2 works perfect for micing instruments. The sound can't be too produced because it will be at a live show.

As for music, hardcore of course. I can't stand anything that doesn't scream.