I know what sound, but not the gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Btone, May 7, 2001.

1. Btone

May 5, 2001
    Hey, guys!
    I 'm looking for new gear. I know basically what sound I'm looking for, but not the equipment needed to produce it. I need a little help!
    Sound: Fairly toppy without losing well defined and "big" lows. The lows must not at all be muddy or distorted. Clear, without being "edgy" in mid- and top-range. The word HiFi comes to mind - but SWR or Eden is out of the question budgetwise (?). I want versitality in tone - reggae to slap-funk. If I can't have it all; a good slap tone is essential.
    I now play a Peavey 130W 1X15 and it stinks. I mainly play a Fender M. Miller Signature (on-board pre-amp) and like the sound of the master but I have no intentions of copying it.
    Can a 4X10 cab give me the desired "big" lows? Do I need a tweeter/horn?
    Budget: 700$
    Small to medium gigs.
    What specs in an amp am I looking for?
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Hi Btone, and welcome to TalkBass. Take a moment and fill out your profile please. You are ruling out Eden and SWR but the Eden Nemesis series and SWR Workingman's series are within your budget, assuming you live in the U.S. Bring your bass to the store and try as many as you can, just remember that your amp/cab is only one part of what makes up your tone. Good Luck!
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Get a used Eden Metro or SWR Super Redhead. I've seen the Redheads for about $700 in our local free press.
  4. I know of all the amps I have owned the Working Man 15 has got to be one of the nicest. I have a couple of different basses and this amp really helps to bring out the signature tone of each of them.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And I've seen used Metros for as low as $800 as well.

Can't go wrong with either one.

I've got a Metro and just love it. The tone is pretty much as you describe.

Super Redheads are great too.