Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I know you all hate Fieldy but...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FearOfGodX, Feb 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FearOfGodX

FearOfGodX

Nov 8, 2001
    How the hell is he getting that clicking sound? I don't care whether or not you think he is the anti christ, but i wanna know how the hell I can get that sound out of my crappy little BX100 amp, and 5string Ibanez ergodyne. I can never figure out tones and stuff, I must be retarted. Like you take a band like Tool or Project 86, they get such a rough kind of sound with their bass in drop D, how do they do that? But most of all, what is up with the Fieldy sound? I gotta be able to figure this out, I know one of you knows...please help a newbie!

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Boost the mids, boost the highs, and raise the pups.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that would be "cut the mids" and boost the highs and lows, at least for the fieldy sound.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that would also be "cut the mutliple post of the same question in different forums" also.

please.

i'll move this to bassists, where it belongs.

5. FearOfGodX

FearOfGodX

Nov 8, 2001
    Hold on there, you crazy bassist pros. I am all new and ignant' Allrigth, on my amp I got gain, shape and EQ, I want everything cranked up on the EQ? ANd what about the pickups on my bass? I am just keeping it even, or more front or back? I am dumb here, really really dumb.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If you was dumb, you WOULDN'T have asked. ;)

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    No, it´s not good to have the gain all the way up, that way you drive the signal from the bass way to high, which causes distortion in the amp. What John Turner said about boosting the highs and the lows, what he meant is that you want the sliders to form a smiley face.

The sliders on the left are the higher frequencies, the sliders on the right are the lower frequencies.

Hope this helps :)

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You'll probably want to engage the "shape" switch: those normally provide mid cut along with treble and bass boost (the "smiley" eq shape that others referred to).

I don't know much about the Ergodyne, but to get the Fieldy sound it would help to have an active bass (built-in EQ), and boost bass and treble on that.

BTW: don't be embarrassed about liking Fieldy and/or his tone! You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, no matter what others think. I wouldn't use the Fieldy tone because it wouldn't work for blues/R&B, but IMO Korn would sound like total krap if Fieldy used one of the tones that traditionalists worship. Good luck to ya.

9. GruvSyco

GruvSyco

Jan 25, 2002
    I have a 5 string tenor (e-c) and one evening I was playing around and dropped the tuning down all the way to A. I was trying this because I was baffled by an article in Bass player mag. It was an interview with Bizkits bass player, he said that he tunes down to C and that Korn toons down to A. Well... If you had a low B, you would not be tuning down to C. Anyway... it gave me that clicking sound he has almost perfectly.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Both these topics are covered in the two other threads about Fieldy and Blink182, etc. Continue them there. Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.