I know you must hate these threads, but...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tbeers, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'm looking for some suggestions re: a new bass guitar. Right now I play a Fender American Deluxe Precision (at least I'm pretty sure that's the name).

I think I'm really into having a P/J combination. I heavily favor the pickup closer to the neck (that's the P right?), because it gets a more mellow and full sound that I find pleasing. But depending on the circumstances, I like to dial in varying amounts of "bite" from the other pickup, using the knob next to the volume one (I don't know what its name is, but it seems to determine what the pickup blend is). I like the way the dials work, it's very easy for me to adjust the tone.

So basically I really like the way the Fender sounds, except for a couple things. In order to give optimal fullness of tone, I find myself needing to boost mids and bass somewhat. And even then, especially with the mid boost, it never quite sounds perfect, it just... I dunno, it never gets that nice balance to it. I want a bass where I could stay closer to flat on the knobs and still have it sound full.

Also, I don't really like the neck on the Fender that much anymore. Through years of neglect and climate changes I don't think it ever really stays properly adjusted anymore. About once a year I take it to a shop to have a setup done but things never seem to stay good for long. It's not the most "playable" instrument.

Oh, one last thing I hate. Whenever I turn the Fender upside down while the amp is on, or if I bump it with my hand wrong, it makes these terrible, loud popping and cracking noises. Also the knob closest to the bridge, I think it's the bass knob, I can't adjust it when the amp is on because it makes awful noises.

So I want the following things: vintage look (although this is negotiable), P/J, full sound, good playability, well-built and dependable. Nothing custom or boutique, just a genuinely well-built P/J that won't give me much trouble or fuss (I'm mostly an upright player but I enjoy playing electric, it's a lot of fun).

So what do you recommend? I was thinking maybe Sadowsky, or maybe Valenti?

Sorry for the long post.
  2. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005