Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I know zilch about strings!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Usul, Jan 15, 2001.

1. Well,I guess the subject heading pretty much says it all,eh?

Only been playing the bass for like 7+months now so strings never really crossed my mind.Started reading some of the posts in the Strings forum and now I realize how important strings are and what an impact they can have on the playability/sound/tone of any given instrument.

Thankfully,I still have plenty of life left in my stock Ibanez strings.

What are the major differances in strings?I know what roundwounds,flatwounds,and groundwounds are.Just wondering what an all around high quality string...one that would make my(or any)instrument have more punch/bottom end and so forth.

Basically,the music I play now is pretty much dictated by my skill level;that is I play what I am able to.Mostly Rock,Alt Rock though.They say that flatwounds are really good for getting that "vintage" sound.Are they ever used for more modern music?

It`s just so confusing is all! So many damned brands/types of strings to choose from!Guess I want to know a bit about them before I actually have to choose and buy my first set.

And another thing!! I don`t even know how to put the damn things on!! :( :( :( :(

Thanks PPLZ!
    Usul

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Relax! :D Take a deep breath. O.K.? Alright :).

Buy Thomastik-Infelds .

Sorry. There's a recent thread ( http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=10074 )
    that may help. It sounds like maybe GHS Brite-Flats would be a good choice.
    They start life as roundwounds and are "burnished slightly".
    Sorta' like rounds...sorta' like flats. Cheap too! (compared to TI's).
    Here's some reviews on others ~ http://eksl-www.cs.umass.edu/~schmill/reviews/string-index.html

There was a real good article in an old Bass Player gear issue.
    Step-by-step, with pictures, on how to change strings on a 4-in-line and 2+2.
    If I had a scanner, etc., I'd post the dang thing :( .
    Herm (the moderator) can probably talk you through it.