I laugh in the face of danger!! How dumb am I?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by krovx, Mar 12, 2003.

1. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    I havea Squire *ducks from flying objects* Jbass that is actually built pretty nice. Instead of buying a new bass I just bought some Bartolini stacked SC's and now it rips pretty much. I noticed the squire pickups had this padding stuff on the bottom of them to get the pups closer to the strings. My bartolini's have nothing like that. Would you suggest getting something to help lift the pickups up, they're pretty low...I like my tone but I would like an Ibanez BTB or Fender Deluxe Pbass soon. What do you all think? :confused: I do admit its funny playing gigs and other bass players from other bands see me turning on my ampeg rig with a squire with a snicker on their face. Even heard them say "Squire, this guy has to be a joke." Until after warmup and we play the first song, then they're drop jaw'd coming up to me after the show asking questions about my tone and how I get a squire sounding like that. My cheap plastic nut is wearing away from the stainless steel strings. Would you guys suggest a brass or bone nut? Thanks!
  2. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    I think basses do usually have springs or something under the pickups. Can you use the old padding? I like my brass nut!!!

edit: BTW if people make fun of your bass - hit them with the heavy end of it!:D
  3. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
  4. My Bass only cost me.... $345 It's a five string tho... And if you can play it does'nt matter what your playing as long as it's in tune and has at least four strings....
  5. Foam is good for under the pickups. They should be around 1/8" from the strings for the bridge pup, and around 3/16" for the neck pup. Guess you answered your own comment about a Squier bass with the reactions you get.:D
  6. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I have cut up an old mouse pad and used it for a foam spacer. It may take multiple layers to get the right adjustment. YMMV
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have used unused sponge (to wash dishes) before and it worked great.

8. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i use sponge too, it works. and about people making fun of it, it's the same with me, i put quarter pounders in my squier p and i'm fine with it, so i don't care what people say. if it bothers you though, just remember, basses make very good clubs......
  9. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    hahah thanks for the tid bits man. Think i will get a sponge soon and try my luck with that :bassist:
  10. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I have swapped out pickups with two of my basses, and each time I have just used the padding that was one the other pickups. Since the pickups are screwed it, the padding doesn't even need to be attached to the new pickups, because the force of the screw will hold them there.
  11. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ditto. although on a previous bass, i used sponge because the padding on the orginal pups was a little worn.

on my jazz, i just installed barts about 2 weeks ago; well the barts didn't include the padding so i ripped out the old padding and stuck it in the routed areas where the pups go.

works fine;)