Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I like basses that stand up by themselves

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Feb 26, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Did you ever have a bass with an "edge", or a "fin" on it, or an odd shape on the bottom, so you couldn't lean it up against a cab, like during the break at a gig or something? Is that annoying or what? :D

I hate having to carry that dumb guitar stand. First of all, those things are mostly cheap, the parts always come off, and they always fall apart. Second, most of my stands are "detachable", meaning if you want to load them in the car with a bunch of gear, you have to take the bottom off, collapse the legs, and so on.

What that means in practice (for me anyway) is that the bottom part tends to get lost, in the rush to load the gear, before or after a gig. :)

I keep looking for basses with a nice smooth symmetrical bottom, so I can lean 'em up against the rig during breaks.

Anyone else had this experience? :eyebrow:

2. A guitarist I know had a plexiglass thingie, kind of like on the back of a picture frame, for standing it on a flat surface. It was hinged so as to fold flat when not in use.
    Perhaps conversely, I read somewhwer that early Alembics were designed NOT to stand up on their own- founder Ron Wickersham had repaired many broken headstocks after propped-up basses were knocked over.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Like you, I've always hated dragging those stands around with me...same issues, parts come loose or if you tape them so they stay put they are to bulky to easily store.

I use a Hercules guitar hangar and I mount it to my cabinet.

Now I don't have to take any stands with me. It's so small, I just throw it in my bag and bolt it onto the cab when I'm set up. Nice part is the weight of the bass locks the hangar closed so the bass can't fall, no matter what.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I use to have a little Ibanez folding stand that fit in my bass case. I sold it with a bass in 95 and haven't seen anything like it since... it was the coolest thing

5. They did recently, anyway. I bought one for a friend's new-bassist daughter for Christmas. Fits in a small bag.

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    it's much bigger then the one I had. Mine was 3 flat pieces of metal that 2 opened into an a (with the spot for the body to sit) and the third kicked back as the leg. It fit perfect with my cord, strap, extra strings & battery and tools in the flip up compartment of my Ric and Carvin hard cases

8. There use to be a little piece of plastic molded like the top part of a guitar stand, and the end was a male 1/4" jack. It was designed so you could plug it into the second input of a guitar amp, but if you just unplug your cable and plug the holder in, would do just fine... I wonder if they still make those...

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That just sounds like a good way to break a jack.

10. By just having the guitar neck leaning into it?

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    what if you run into it?

12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hey guys, thanks for the input! I'll be investigating your suggestions.

I have a bass with an omega cut (it's the "Big Alembic"), and that one has been especially problematic over the years. Once I even had to get a fin fixed, I took it to Carruthers in Santa Monica, and he did a wonderful job.

But there's more to it than just the "body shape". There's also the jack position. On an F bass for instance, the jack points "straight down", so there's no possible way you could lean it against a rig, without putting a 90 degree bend in your instrument cable, right where it meets the jack. (George, are you listening?) :D

So, that means I need to unplug the jack before putting the bass down, which means I need to turn down my rig, which means I need to find the right setting when I start up again, and so on.

Sorry, didn't mean to whine here. :)

Thanks again for your suggestions, that folding plastic thingy sounds promising. :bassist:

13. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    put another strap holder thingy on the bum of your bass ;)

14. my Hohner B2A has 2 strap buttons at the base so it stands well against the amp/wall etc.
    the buttons tend to get chewed up though.

although I don't know how that would work with straplocks-esp. the Schaller type- you'd need 3 for the bass to stand straight.

the thing that bugs me about guitar stands is the lead always gets caught up in the prongs.

15. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    It'd take more than one extra strap button to make this stand up on it's own...

[​IMG]

16. I'd just stab it into a speaker cab, or the guy who designed the bass. But I'm not bitter...

17. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I just let my jazz fall on the floor all the time.

just kidding use an ultimate stand, or buy only basses that stand up by themselves. :D

18. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

thats my main beef with the Jazz body style.