I like being sick!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, Feb 26, 2006.

1. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Well no... But at same time yes...

1) It feels soooo good when you finally get over sickness it’s almost worth the whole thing...

2) You get to get medically drunk!

So what’s the point of this? How do you cure yourself when you have cold/sour throat/flu and all other common sicknesses…?

For me its hot tea with cognac and sugar sometimes adding slices of apple and lemon in it. That seems to help me. Also shot of vodka with ground pepper does the job as well. Does anyone else do that? Or is it my drunken Russian culture?

Anyone has anything else :)
  2. Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Ginger Ale with Aleve lqiud pill, and SLEEP!!!
  3. abuse your body so much the infection is like " Fudge this, I am out"

I don't do much when it comes to medicine, only ulcer pills as that pain sucks. I don't mind sleeping alot and dealing with it when it comes to a cold/cough and related sicknesses.

Sleeping is the best part
  4. +1

Fudge 'em!
  5. rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Straight whiskey, and a lot of it. Nobody I knew believed me, until I made them try it. I use hot tea and whiskey for a sore throat. I'm Irish and Slovak, so maybe that has something to do with it. :)
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You need more cowbell baby.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I remember fighting colds with Coricidin 'D'. I found it fairly good stuff for more than a stuffy head. It's no wonder they don't sell it formulated the same way anymore.

Since I am beyond my "days of lush", I find being sick and the medical remedies annoying. But it beats not being able to breathe at night while trying to sleep.
  8. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I don't get sick
  9. +1 prevention is the best possible answer.

But I second the sleep suggestion.
  10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I hate being sick. My nose doesn't stop running. And my throat is constantly bothering me.
  11. Sounds rough. IME, you just have to wait. I'm sure the tea/cognac wouldn't hurt for dealing with the symptoms though.
  12. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm one of those people that gets sick around once a year. (although I have been known to take more than one sick day throughout the year...mental health and all)

But, I just wait it out...sometimes I use NyQuil if I can't sleep, but very rarely do I use pain relievers/fever reducers/etc. A nice hot cup of tea and maybe a shot of liquor if it's really bad.
  13. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I'm going through that right now. Sinus infection, and I can't breathe lying down. Then this past week I also got a viral infection. My body jsut gave up on me and I couldn't wake up in the mornings anymore. I'm able to breathe now, but the effects of sleep deprivation have me sleeping 14+ hrs a day.

As far as the home made remedies, when I get into coughing fits I put some quince seeds under my tongue. No idea why it works, but it does. Also, drinking hot tea with a sugar cubein your mouth does wonders for a stomach ache. Again no idea why, just family traditions that seem to work.
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I rarely get sick, but when I do it's a doozy. In those cases, I burn it out of my system with Habanero's, Scotch Bonnet's, Jalapeno's, and capsicum pills. The best thing with the peppers is to slice them open and put in the oven on broil. Put a little butter on top and eat up.

I have some Korean friends, and they have some serious home remedies that really do work. The stuff they do with ginger is killer. One time, my friends mom had me put a towel over my head and stand over a pot of boiling water with ginger and other herbs in it and had me breath in the steam. It cleaned me out right quick. Phillipino's come correct too!

I like the eastern approach to medicine because I'm not about pumping pills and potions into my body when I don't feel good.

15. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm with Mike. I seldom get sick but when I do, it kicks my arse for a few weeks. At first symptom I start popping vitamin C like crazy, drink a quart of apple juice a day, go to bed early, and when I get stuffy, it's time for spicy foods :)
  16. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

+1 of spicy food... i love spicy food either way but yeah...

Pho with lots of spicy stuff in it works well:)
  17. at a time where id usually love to endulge on a whiskey or some rum... i find myself unable.

i suck :(
    havent eaten since 10 this morning. thought i waspuking blood, but it turned out to be tomatoe soup (duh!).

somethings not agreeing with the system, and is beingevacuated left, right and centre. :bawl:
  18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Codeine baby 8)
  19. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    My Dad introduced me to that method when I was about 10 years old...had a killer sore throat and sinus problems and doing a couple days of the steam twice a day cleaned me up. I still do it when I get really sick, maybe twice a year. Gotta love allergies. :rollno:

Of course, there is always Robo......tussin that is....:meh:

20. Tea with honey and staying in bed a lot; funnily enough, this is remarkably similar to my normal routine, except with extra honey:)