Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I like GHS boomers but they go dead quick...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Jun 27, 2004.

1. I put a new set of boomers on my Yamaha a few weeks ago and played two shows and three practices before they lost their zing. I now have some Hi-Beams on the same bass and it reqires a setup due to the lower string tension. I loved the feel and sound of the Boomers when they were new and am wondering if anyone knows of a good equal that lasts longer.

Anyone?

2. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    "Try Erinie Ball Roundwound Slinkys or Dean Markley Blue Steel Stainless Steel Strings." - me

Earlier I reccomended DM Blue Steel Stainless Steel strings, but has anyone actually tried them (I've only heard they were good)? What do they sound like? Which is better, EB Slinkies, Blue Steels, or D'addario XLs? This should help the thread creator out in picking strings, too. I want a string that has PLENTY of bass, yet I'd like them to be bright to.

Help a brother out. :smug:

Ok, I'm not a brother... just help me out anyway. I have my first gig coming up and I need new strings.

EDIT: for some reason my earlier reccomendations post was deleted, but you can see it above.

3. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I have a set of GHS boomers on my old squier that I put on just to try out the strings and I must say that I wasn't impressed. I had the same problem where they were very zingy and metallic at first, but after a while they became dull as a doorknob. :meh: Oh well. Not worth the dough if you ask me.

4. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    make sure your hands are clean : P

either way, try some stainless strings, they keep there ting much longer, but not as "deep sounding"

i like D'addario Prism ultra brights

or for nickels, DR-lowriders ( 110 guage low E )

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Boomer's go dead faster then any other string I've tried.

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    We've been here before. I've always liked Boomers, and have never had a problem with them dying fast. Perhaps I'm in the minority.

If you like the way Boomers sound when they're new, Ernie Ball Slinkys or D'Addario XL's might be worth a try.

7. What I always liked about Boomers was that they had a nice broken in sound and feel right out of the pack. Zing is definately something that they lack and would say if you want "zing" go for Rotosound Swingbass Stainless strings. there is probably not a brighter sounding stainless string out there compared to these.