1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I like high-mids and low weight cabs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by songwriter21, Mar 9, 2008.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    ...which is why I'm thinking of going with an Accugroove Tri112. I've read some threads of people preferring a Schroeder 1210L over the Accu, but like the thread title says, I really love that grindy, growly high mid sound, and it seems that the Schroeder has more low mid?

I had a Flite a few years back that I sold (f**king bills) and it was the best sounding cab I've ever had. It had HUGE low end from just a 12", and the mid and tweeter roared. It was super light as well, and words can't describe how nice that was. The Accu is almost identical to that cab, only with the 6" mid being half an inch bigger than the Flite, and 10 pounds heavier (no big deal...38lbs!). Soundwise, can anyone tell me how similar an Accu sounds to a Flite 112MH, if possible? The only thing I didn't like about the Flite was the crappy foam enclosure...not durable at all.

So, would an Accugroove Tri112L satisfy my love for high-mids (possibly like my Flite), and should I get it over a Schroder 1210L?

2. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Oh, and I'd be using a GK 1001RB-II with my next cab, if that helps.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'd agree with this if you were talking about the 1210R (the non-neo version), but the low mid hump isn't as pronounced in the neo's. If you like high mids, and want to be able to pull more SPL that a 1x12 can manage,, I'd look at the Schroeder 410L.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'd also recommend you call up Don at Low Down Sound. The LDS 3-way neo cab I use has awesomely clear and sweet mids and high mids, and the cab is very portable.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    high mids and portable.... get a smaller boxed Bag End!

S12, S15, or D10

(I've owned both brand you are comparing, just different models.)

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    The Schroeder Mini 12+ has a strong mid focus that you might like. I had one for a while. It was 4ohm, 500 watt and weighed 28lbs.

7. I don't hear much hi mid aggressiveness in the Tri112L... to my ear, it has quite a lower mid to mid mid hump, and a very polite upper mid and treble response... very punchy cab.. but more warm and organic than aggressive and growly.

The 1210 and 1212 Schroeders are ALL about the low mid punch, and to my ear actually have little bit of a scoop in that 800K-2K hi mid area (if that's how you are defining upper mids). That being said, the 1210R is probably the most upper mid aggressive of these cabs (1212R, 1212L, 1210R or 1210L).

I can't speak to the 112 version, but my new Bergantino AE410 (62 pounds) has quite a bit of aggressive upper mids, and punchy mids in general. The tweeter/crossover really growls up there to my ear... so you might try that.

Also, the Epifani 112UL Series I cabs have a very nice upper mid extension of the woofer and are very light.. they growl nicely up there with the right head, but are not as low mid punchy. I also hear the Genz Neo112's are upper mid aggressive, so you might want to try one of those also.

IMO.

Edit: If you are defining 'high mids' as in the 400-500hz region, the Tri112L should be fine for you.

8. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    The Accu Groove tri112 is very transparent. All of the Accu Groove cabs are. They DO have their slight differences. I think the Tri112 is the most honest cab they make. The tri115 is right there with it/ just a bit more low end. The Tri210 has a deeper low end/ more of an R&B'ish tone. The El Whappo...just pain HUGE sounding. If you like high mids, get a bass that has a pronounced upper mid range....run it into whatever amp you want (something that works for you) & let the final ingredient be a Tri112. You'll be able to really hear what's really going on. I used to try to bump 400-500 with my GK stuff.....it didn't do much. With the Tri112, you can actually hear the slightest changes in EQ. The Schroder cabs I've played had a a more brittle top end.....a bit hyped. I like how the highs are there (with the Tri112) but accurate......as in accurate to the point of sounding like a set of studio monitors would in the top end. I guess what I'm getting at is this; yes, if high mid definition is what you want, that's a great place to start. Keep in mind, though.... low mids, top end, low end affect the way the upper mids come through. Listen to the whole spectrum of a cab. A cab may come accross as having a nice round low end/ when in fact it has a gap in the mids. You can't go wrond with the Tri112.

9. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Thanks for all of the great info, guys!

10. Is there any way for you to hear the Bergantino AE112? I've again only heard the 410 version.. but talk about grindy growly upper mids... holy moly!

11. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Actually, in response to everyone wondering what I define as "upper-mids" or "high mids", I'm talking about the 800-2k region..that roaring, almost Duff McKaganish snarl or John Myung's sinister sound.

I'll do some research again, and check out some Bergantino's like KJung stated.

What about Euphonic Audio's new NL210? I've heard it's pricey, but really nice.

...and the search continues....(tri112L is still a possibility)

12. i think that eden 210 and 410 xlt cabs are very mid aggressive.
    not light by any means

not sure we can have it all as bassists

13. That's where I define the upper mids also... so I'm comfortable with the AE recommendation. I feel even more negative about the Tri112 or your tone goals given the above description.

14. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Hmmm, well the Berg AE210 and 410 look interesting, indeed. But, for weight reasons, I'd go with the 210 if I chose Berg. I've checked out some other threads about these cabs having the upper-mid bite that I like (800-2k region), and it seems more up my alley.

Now, would this work well with my GK 1001RB-II, or too brittle? What I didn't say before was that I had an Epifani UL210 II just recently, the speakers sounded really nice and in-your-face with a GK (how I like it), but the tweeter was very hissy at all volumes. I don't know if I want to take the chance on another Epi, so Berg might be where I want to go, yes?

Has anyone here had tweeter issues with Epi's? I've read a bit that they don't have the greatest tweeters, but mine was one of the worst I've had.

15. As many have said, tweeters don't hiss, amps do. The Epi tweeter is optimally set and sounds 'flat' to me at between 9 and 10 o'clock. With the amps I use, I get no hiss whatsoever. A good crossover and tweeter will replicate the upper frequencies... if your amp is putting out hiss there, the better the circuit, the more you will hear it.

I find the Epi tweeter and crossover to be the purest, clearest, cleanest in the business.... airy and crystal clear.

The Berg AE tweeter is the same as the Epi (same model), but is crossed over lower... so if you have an amp that hisses with the Epi... it will REALLY hiss with the Berg IME.

We checked out the AE410 with the old GK800, and it killed!

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's what I think of when we say High-mids.

Definitely look at the Schroeder 410L. We have Epifani, Accugroove, Eden in stock, and the Schroder 410 is definitely the one with the most happening in the 800Hz to 2k region.

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I tend to divide frequency ranges up in octaves:

Bass
    Low/sub bass - from as low as you can to 63Hz
    Mid bass - 63 Hz to 125 Hz
    Upper bass - 125 Hz to 250 Hz

Midrange
    Lower mids - 250 Hz to 500 Hz
    Mid mids - 500 Hz to 1000 Hz
    Upper mids - 1000 Hz to 2000 Hz

Treble
    Lower treble - 2K Hz to 4K Hz
    Mid treble - 4K Hz to 8K Hz
    Upper treble - 8K Hz to as high as you wanna

18. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Better switch to Baritone Uke, then.

19. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Well, now I'm worried and confused. First, KJung said that a purer tweeter construction will show more of an amp's high-end hiss. But, I've read that GK's hardly have any noise at all. I played a GK 700RB-II through my past Epi and the high end hissed like a mofo. Also, I had a limited edition Markbass F1, as well as a Hartke 3500A (which I still have, the F1 is gone...believe it), and these hissed the same. I played through numerous other cabs, and damn near quiet for all heads.

I noticed that a GK you mentioned, killed with a Berg. Is my 1001 going to sound great or hiss like the 700? I can understand a better quality tweeter showing an amps "weaknesses" more obviously, but my amps, especially the Markbass and GK shouldn't have these cons. Amps that are supposed to be high-quality and/or have a great track record like these shouldn't sound like this.

So, I'm guessing I sent a perfectly good Epi cab back to MF, and that I just bought a GK head that's going to hiss even more.

Dammit, what the hell?

20. First, were you running the 700RB full range or utilizing the "tweeter" control? If it's the latter, then you have a whole'nother set of issues.
    IMO, G-K amps tend to be a tad on the hissy side by nature. Especially older ones, such as my '87 800RB, which has gotten a little hissier with age (with help from Hurricane Katrina).
    I don't find it a major problem though, as a little treble cut in the EQ takes it away (along with some annoying high frequencies that I don't like anyway).

Or go with a DIY, or modded design with a 6.5" mid/high driver and no tweeter.( Check out greenboy's fEarful design)(do a search)