I Like My New Levy's Strap But Have An Issue With The Appearance

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Aug 16, 2016.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Just received a new Levy's 3.5" wide strap today, the main reason I went with this model is because it's adjustable to less than 40". The strap is really nice and comfortable but the end sticks out when I have it at my preferred length, see attached picture. Debating whether to return the strap (but what to exchange for?) or take it to my local leather shop to have the end cut off. What do you guys suggest?

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      150.3 KB
      Views:
  2. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    I wouldn't cut it, maybe you want to use it with some other bass one day and need different adjustment.

Attached Files:

• b9.jpg
      b9.jpg
      File size:
      93 KB
      Views:
    Tbone76, MattZilla and Aqualung60 like this.
  3. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Comfort is key with a strap for me. If the length is a deal breaker you run the risk of less comfort for aesthetics. That isn't a trade-off I would personally make, but at worst you can always cut the end yourself and take a shot at sewing the end bit. Nobody will ever know except you.

MattZilla likes this.
  4. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I still have the loop in the shortest section so in case I gain about 50 lbs. down the road it shouldn't be a problem moving to a longer loop section. I intend to install Dunlop Straplocks (which should be another challenge, this leather is thick!), so looping the end around isn't an option.

5. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Return it and check out Walker and Williams straps... quality craftsmanship, plenty of adjustment, easier to get straplocks on.. plus the 3" version I got was $35 .. and I like it tons better than any overpriced Levys I tried or used... Felt broken in straight out of the box.. if you prefer a 3.5"... they have those as well, I'll be ordering one for my heavier Lakland Duck Dunn P
    Good luck!

ColdEye likes this.
  6. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I already checked out W&W straps and couldn't find one that adjusts shorter than 47". They must market their straps to people that wear their instruments around their knees and/or are obese!

7. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    I don't play at my knees, nor am I obese.. I don't have my bass up by my chin like a necklace either but I'll still never use another strap.. thought I'd throw it out as a possibility.
    Good luck!

ColdEye likes this.
  8. Aaron Mc

Aaron Mc

Jul 28, 2006
    Avondale, AZ
    Loop it through multiple holes to shorten it. It may take a few tries to get the length right.

Attached Files:

9. geeza

geeza

Mar 15, 2009
    Earth, but just barely.
    I'm not wearing pants
    ^ this. It can be adjusted to be way shorter than you have it now.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  10. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Great idea but even if I loop it through every hole at the shortest length it's still a couple of inches too long.

11. I would bring the strap through the next hole down from where it's connected so it's on the outside, then go through the hole second up from the bottom, go up into the next hole so it's between itself and the face of the wide strap and then back out the next hole up then down to the bottom hole and out to the pin. You can adjust which hole to come out and down to the bottom hole to get it right.

wintremute likes this.
  12. AuBassMan

AuBassMan Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Central Virginia
    Nice straps there....I'm going to order a couple!

MTN.bass72 likes this.
  13. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    wind it thru the holes differently to take up more slack ...

scissors / black magic marker ... it's just a strap .?!

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Instead of starting where you did, start at the slot towards the end, work up towards the middle of the strap and back down again. You'll knock at least six inches off the length.

climber, mikezimmerman and osonu like this.
  15. My Levy's strap is just like that and occasionally I play an Acoustic Bass Guitar and need the extra length so I just use the other hole out at the end of that strap. And if any of my buddies pick up my bass (they play with bass down to their knees) they can get it a little longer by just moving to that other button hole at the end.

Most of the time I'm on a P bass with that bit of leather dangling past the strap button - and it doesn't bother me at all.

GrooverMcTube likes this.
  16. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Scissors, cut it, enjoy it. Mine sticks out but I don't care, if I feel like you I will cut it myself with whatever sharp tool I have around. I wont paid to have somebody to cut it. But that is me.

Jon Moody, lz4005 and oaklandthumb like this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You could totally adjust that to use the end hole and not have to cut it.

18. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Or you could take it to a tailor that works with leather and have it done professionally.

19. I leave the tails. I like em. I also loop my cable thru the strap when I'm workin, so, you could put the farthest hole on your strap pin first, then the strap lock, creating a loop for a cable. My Dunlop locks work this way, your mileage may vary. In any case, whether adjusted, looped or left long? I wouldn't cut it.

20. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Of course. Or you could take a shot at it yourself. It's just a bit of leather, a needle and matching thread . . .

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021