i like that root fifth thing you are doing!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Sep 18, 2006.

1. i went to my lesson today and my teacher handed me some new music. i suck at sight reading so i fallowed the chord chart and made up a root, fifth rhythm on the fly
    and i my teacher said "i like that root, fifth thing you are doing"

i feel like i am one step closer to being a real bass player:hyper:

2. bubinga5

bubinga5 Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Good man...just two notes can sound great, especially when you add some ghost notes in there. Its all in the rythm!!!:bassist:

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    What song were u guys doing?

4. some latin piece that he made up.

5. lol, thats what I started doing when I was a bass player. Simple root 5th stuff. Then some triads. then descending/asending runs. then some 7th licks.

6. Wespe

Wespe

Feb 21, 2006
    It's amazing what one well placed ghost note can do to the pulse of a rhythm section. It's a cool thing to work with, especially if you're working around simple two-three note riffs.

7. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    You'll find that the root-fifth thing will serve you well. :bassist:

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Its the start to an awesome riff ! :bassist:

9. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    What else would you do for basic latin grooves? Root, Fifth, Octaves, those are like the meat of that style.

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    A simple root-fifth-octave vibe with the right rhythm can be a very effective line. I loves me some claves.

One of my favorite latin sounding lines is just i-iii-iv in the root i-iii-iv in the fourth and then a scalar descent from the vi of the root,( which, if I'm remembering right is the iii in the fourth.) set against a 3-2 clave.

Whoa, wow, woe...That sounds SO much more confusing in print than the actual line is to play. I suck at tabbing but maybe I should try that to express it. It's a really simple line, and darned useful.

G---------------------------------------------
    D-------------4---7------------4--------------
    A----4---7--5----------4---7-7-7-5-4---------
    E--5-----------------5----------------7-5-----

Okay, those are the notes. And the rhythm fits against a 3-2 clave. Here, listen closely and I'll clap it really loudly. Lean in close to your monitors.

Like that. Okay?

11. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ

No, you're one step closer to being a Country bass player :D

12. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    It's in plenty of non-country songs, too! :bassist:

13. what country song uses bflat with a flat 5 and a flat 7?

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021