I like the sound of Lo-Riders but they are too tight

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    I love the low tension of Hi-Beams but prefer the tone of Lo-Riders which have higher tension than Hi-Beams. Even the lightest Lo-Riders (040-100) feel a little bit too tight for me.

What strings have low tension and sound sort of like Lo-Riders?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Sunbeams. They are nickel Hi-Beams.

3. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Sunbeams are less bright than Hi-Beams. Why can't DR produce 035-095 Lo-Riders?Maybe I'll try 035-095 Pro Steels. Too bad Blue Steels don't come in the 040-100 gauge.

4. I say try the Sunbeams. I went Hi-Beams->Low Riders->Sunbeams,with a brief excursion through FatBeams (the Marcus Miller sig set). I love the feel and tone of Sunbeams.

5. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Fat Beams if you want SS.

6. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    They produce a 95er set of Lo-Riders. Saitenmarkt.com stocks them (and they are on my "to try out"-list, since I also liked Lo-Riders tone but not tension-wise).
    Also Sadowsky Blue Steels go in a similar direction, though they have more high mids than Lo-Riders.

/E: Juststrings.com also stocks them: http://www.juststrings.com/drs-llh-40.html

7. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    I want a 035-095 Lo-Rider set :bawl:

I read numerous threads about strings and it looks like Sadowsky blue steels may be what I'm looking for.

8. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I may be wrong, but I don't think Lo-Riders are any tighter than any other hex-core, roundwound string...IOW, almost any other bass strings. It isn't so much that Lo-Riders feel tight as it is that Hi-Beams, Fat Beams, Sunbeams, etc. feel loose. So, I think that you will need to stick with round-core to get the feel you are after. IIRC, Sadowsky strings are all hex-core and probably won't feel any looser than Lo-Riders. Though they may have the lighter gauge you are looking for.

I don't think that Sunbeams sound very much like Lo-Riders at all, Sunbeams are much mellower IMO. Fat Beams might be worth a shot.

9. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    What are some other round core strings besides the Hi-Beams? It seems most strings are hex core.

10. Semantics. I like this.

11. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    All DR except Lo-Riders, nickel or stainless, are round core. This includes Hi-Beams, Fat Beams, Long Necks, Sunbeams, DDTs, and Neons.

Fender 8250s, but these only come in .045-.110

Dean Markley made a round-core NPS string, but I don't know what gauges and they might be discontinued.

Those are the only ones I can think of.

What I mean is that Lo-Riders don't feel any tighter to me than the majority of other bass strings. D'addario XLs, EB Slinkys, La Bella Hard Rockin' Steels, GHS Boomers, all Sad, etc. are all hex-core, roundwound strings and have a similar tight feel to them. Any variance in the feel between them is minor IME, when comparing similar gauges. Roundcore strings, like Hi-Beams, feel looser than the majority of other mass-produced strings on the market because they are not constructed the same way as the majority of other mass-produced strings. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I think a lot of people have the wrong impression that DR Lo-Riders have a super-tight feel to them because people are always talking about them as a high-tension string. However, it is usually when they are being compared to all the other strings that DR makes that folks make these comments about Lo-Riders. But, they aren't what I would call a high-tension tight feeling string compared most other strings on the market IMO.

12. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    I tried a couple of different strings recently. They were Rotosound RS66, DR Lo-Riders (100), Sadowsky Blue Labels, Fender Nickel Plated Steel (100), D'Addario EPS (100) and EXL (100).
    Lo-Riders had the most tension together with the Fenders (I think, didn't play them for long). The Rotos had a little less tension, followed by the D'Addario and Sadowsky strings. So I guess Sadowsky strings DO have less tension.
    At least that's what my left hand tells me. If I use strings with too much tension my left hand starts to hurt pretty fast and when I used the Lo-Riders that happened. Not with the Sadowskys.
    They are pretty flexible, so I can easily bend the E-string, which I can hardly do with the Lo-Riders.

13. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    When I started to play the bass more than 20 years ago, I used 050-110. I have no problem with thick strings. Nowadays I just love the snappy tone and feel of lighter strings, especially on a Jazz or an active bass. I'll order Sadowsky Blue Steels and see what happens.

14. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Dunlop makes some pretty low tension strings in both nickel and SS...

15. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    if DR's are the flavor you prefer why don't you look into buying each string separately ? That way you can get the 35 > 95 ga. set you are craving.

16. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    FatBeams are the shizzle. They remind me of old Rotos - great grind/sizzle without being too ringy...

17. I meant no disrespect. I just liked that sentence. :D

18. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    DR doesn't make a 035 Lo-Rider string.

19. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Back to the round core question, Fodera strings are also round core.

20. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021