1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Like The Way You Move, Or Don't Move

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by DreadyDiggs, Apr 25, 2015.

1. First off, I play roots reggae.

I'm about to play my first gig next month and it happens to be a festival. I went and sat in on my band's current set last night for the first time. Last night was a Bar/Grill/Smokehouse. After watching the set and watching the guy I'm replacing (his battery died mid-song, played out the PA so there was poopy bass, and played the wrong basslines) I have no clue why he got that gig last night and I'm going to get thrown on the big stage for my first gig. But that's not for yall to answer, though normally you get your feet wet before you dive in haha.

My question to you guys as fellow bassies, is how much do you move while performing? My band's singer is also the keyboard player, so he HAS to pretty much stand there. Drummie is behind the kit, and they had a last minute guitar player who didn't get into it until the end of the set, but he normally doesn't move much anyways from watching his own band perform. Our regular guitarist, yea he shys back too.

Right now I've brought in a keyboard player to start rehearsing with us so singer can get off of keys and interact with the crowd, which will also allow for better keyboard playing, but as for me, I like to dance. I'm also going to sing harmonies and hope to convince drummer or keyboards to sing with me, cause that's another thing that was lacking.

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Why care? If you are feelin' the love let it out :D . Once the spirit moves you, it'll move the others (hopefully).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    Tbone76 likes this.
  3. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    For a reggae/roots band, I love the idea of the bass player being the one dancing!

Tbone76 and Stewie26 like this.
  4. This.

Each to their own, bro!

5. Seems a few of you might be strapped to anchors on stage haha. I guess I don't actually care if YOU yourself move or not, because if you admitted that you didn't I wasn't going to ask you why. It was a question that I thought would at least make us think, even if it didn't generate a ton of posts in this thread.

When's the last time you thought about the crowd's opinion of your stage presence or lack thereof?

I know some could care less, and some care but still ain't gonna move too much. This place has a huge plethora of different personalities, and I respect each and every one of you, because that is how I want to be treated.

6. I wobble about as and when I feel like it. Most of the time that's all the stage room I have.

7. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I don't move a great deal on stage, but hey, I'm working on it. With the more energetic, weird, and loud bands I move more. I'm pretty introverted, and I've long realized that I should move and be more demonstrative than I am. So I've been working on freeing myself. I never am fake or acting, but I have to push myself to do it, because the audience can't see when I'm dancing inside...

8. OEW3

OEW3

Nov 6, 2011
    USA
    I never used to move around. But recently I've started to, and the response you get from the crowd, as a mover, is incredible. The crowd wants to know that the band is really into what they're doing, and that's the best way to show it. If the band isn't visibly excited, why would the crowd be? Move on stage for sure, as much as you can without screwing up your part. You will notice the reaction, imo.
    Personally I really think it matters.
    Just watch a live Ramones show, no one in that band moved an inch, and it was dead boring to watch them live, though I'm a huge fan. Ymmv

9. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

I come from the arena rock over the top guitar flipping knee length hair headbanging 80s.
    I'm a bit more conservative now. Little out of place in a modern country cover band ;) but I don't stand in place. I roam from side to side and wireless freedom., well that puts me off the stage and to the outside smoking areas some times.
    The hat comes off and the headbanger shows up if the song is rocking (Paris ooh LA la etc)
    On my knees, bass held up over my head.. spread legged rock star stance when the mood strikes..
    It's a frigging SHOW not a meat jukebox.

s0c9 and DirtDog like this.
  10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    OMG, that was funny - I snorted Jack Daniels out of my nose! (ouch).

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    If dancing around is natural to you then do it. For those where moving around doesn't come naturally I think standing still is better, faking something that's alien to you will not work, and will probably just make you feel uncomfortable.

Personally my moves on stage is usually limited to tapping a foot a little. :) Then again, I usually sit and play because of problems with my neck and shoulders. If I could I would at least be up and sway with the music, moving the whole body a bit can help the groove.

12. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I always thought that Bruno Mars bass player was fun to watch. Plus they feature him a lot in Bruno's videos. If you like to dance while you play this is great video to study. BTW, I wish I could move like him.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

How much do I like to move...?
    [​IMG]

Stage presence and movement comes up on TB forums all the time, and you'll find a pretty predictable argument between those who say, "Why move? Just play your music," and those who say, "A show is a show, and you should think about the show you're putting on." I'm in the latter camp. Stage presence matters.

Having said that, it's also worth thinking about how you fit into the stage presence of the band as a whole. There are different ways to have stage presence. It doesn't have to be jumping around. In your situation, if the rest of the band isn't moving, you may not want to be the one guy who's all over the place. Work as a group.

14. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I play for a Pentecostal church where moving like King David was said to have done is accepted and get more notice for moving then I do for playing. Due to his physical condition our guitarist is seated and our leader leads from behind the traps. So visually a lot falls on me, especially when its just the three of us and no other singers stepping forward.

15. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    Over the years I've realized I need to act like I'm into it whether I am or not.

16. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i prowl more so than dance. i like to roam on big stages. i'll walk up to the guitsie, smile and sway. then over to the keys or horns and simulate moving in slow motion whilest dubbin out. being 6'6" makes me standout a hair or two, but i'm also a clown with it. i make ppl in the crowd laugh & smile while i pound out huge round tones. it gets a ton of compliments, but it feels very natural & easy for me,.. i am a rhythm junkie and it shows!
    if i'm not feelin it for some reason,.. i chill,.. i never force it and its pretty apparent from the feedback i get.
    i really don't like talkin about, lmao!
    Bless-Up!

17. This is a very good point. Too much movement, or even certain clothes, could be detrimental when you're the only one doing anything of the sort. I don't plan to be Rob Trujillo, but I'm gonna let it flow and hope it's received. Hopefully if I go a tad overboard, which I doubt, I'll get a sign and simply dial it back to safe.

WIth a turbocharged car how do decide how much boost it'll handle? Up the boost till you blow the motor, then rebuild it and subtract 5psi of boost lol.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  18. I don’t move much, I thought I was moving enough until I saw a video of one our shows. The parts where I felt like I was ripping it up with the body moves are barely noticeable and the rest of the time I look like a statue. I’m working on stamping my foot instead of gently tapping it, marching to the beat a bit more and generally exaggerating all my movements. I tried jumping/dancing once and missed most of my notes, so I’m working my way into it. The main thing is everything on stage needs to be twice as big as you feel. I always look like I am in a bad mood too, so I’m trying to get a stage face the isn’t a goofy grin. I’m playing in a party-style covers band, so the stage-show is really equally as important as the songs. If I was playing “listening” music, then who cares, do what feels natural.

19. Hell, I wish I could play like him.

Stewie26 likes this.
  20. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I kind of sway, dip and get into it and other times I look like I discovered something unexpected in my Fruit of the Looms. It's whatever is moving me. Except the Fruit of the Looms. That was just wrong.