Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I like TI Flats, but which rounds for me?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RMosack, Oct 22, 2005.

1. I currently have a USACG 5 string J bass that's strung with TI Flats. FWIW, it has a U-Retro preamp.

I love the way it sounds with the flats, but I could do with a bit of a change. For getting more of a classic John Paul Jones or even Geddy Lee type J bass tone, what would be a good set of roundwound strings?

Right now, I'm considering some sort of Rotosound, but I don't know enough about them (mostly a guitar player, truth be told). If possible, I'd like to go with something with nickle-wrap over steel to save my frets, but again, I don't know what's out there?

I did learn, when searching for flats, that not all string sets are equal - especially in terms of equal tension.

If Rotos, which?

What about the TI rounds?

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Well if I am not mistaken both Geddy and JPJ use Rotosounds. Well currenlty anyway. However, I may be wrong.

I myself favor the D'adarrio rounds. Personally I just think they are great great sounding strings. Not to mention they have numerous amounts of guauges. And they are, more or less, enviromentaly friendly.

You might also consider half wounds. They are like the best of both worlds.

3. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Geddy used Ernie Ball strings on the Rush in Rio tour.

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use DR. I love them. I use HiBeams. I believe that SunBeams are nickel.

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

Well I got one out of two. Not to shabby.

6. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    John Paul Jones and Geddy Lee both used Rotosound Swing 66's, as did/do many other great players. I use them myself and have found that they are great for a variety of tones, and are the best strings I have ever used as far as harmonic clarity goes. Anyhow, they have plenty of growl, but if you're used to flatwounds, they may be a little rough on your fingers. Also, they lose that "new string flavor," so-to-speak, somewhat quickly, but to compensate I just boost my treble a little bit. As far as tension goes they're right in the middle (on my bass at least), meaning I can get high tension sound/feeling from the bridge pickup area, and lower tension sound/feeling from the neck pickup area.

7. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    My favorite rounds are DR Sunbeams.

8. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I tried Rotos once and took them off shortly after. They never sounded like they broke in. Way too much zing for my tastes. Nickel is my choice.

9. My vote goes for halfrounds, especially if you say you are a flatwound player that wants something more. I must warn you (hums: about the motha---- state of california, nvm, that's what I;m listening to (RHCP).) about half rounds though. They are just like Emo music, you either love it/them or hate it/them. (I actually don't mind it, it's just not my choice of music.) They have a similar feel to that of flatwounds, but have the capacity to be much brighter. So basically, they are flatwounds with bite; that's how I see them anyway. Some complain that they are grabby when it comes to shifting, which is true, but I think this grabbiness helps with shifting when you get used to them because it allows you to stop quickly, meaning you can have a slide going at a high speed and you will be able to stop at the right place. Plus, they aren't draggy, if you would mistake grabbiness for dragginess.