Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I like Zons

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ROCKBOBMEL_old, Dec 14, 2001.

1. I bought an FBass in Feb 2000, and it came with stanless steps. I wanted to preserve the frets and Jimmy at Guitar Boutique said to try Zon UltraSonics. I love them. The B is wound with wire the same diam. as the E. They last me 4-5 months EASILY. They go very slowly, so you don't notice it much.
    I tried a lot of others on my Musicman 5, but I don't even want to waste the chance to put a new set of Zons on.

2. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    Zon Ultrasonic nickels in regular (heaviest) gauge are the best strings I know of, especially for fretless. The only strings I've tried that are comparable to Zon nickels are Thomastik Infeld PowerBass, and I like the Zons better on most basses.

Zon nickels last many months and still sound pretty good when they're old. String intonation holds up very well over time. Zon nickels haven't caused any damage to the fingerboard (or frets) on any of my basses. I've only broken one Zon string so far, and that was an old one tuned well above standard pitch at the time it broke.

3. I have a set of Lake JOs flats on my Musicman Fretless, but when they get old, I may try the Zons on it.
    I use the Mediums (Regulars) too.
    Thanks for the affirmation.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I tried a 5-string set of Zon Ultrasonic nickels (.045-.130). When they were new, I thought they sounded great! But...In about two weeks they were dead - to the point that they were unusable.

(Note: I play at least one hour every day, and I used the strings for one weekend gig that consisted of about 8 hours of playing time.)

(FWIW, I have a set of DR stainless Lo-Riders that are going on their 3rd month of use, but I'm just about ready for a new set).