Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Liked the White One So Much...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, May 30, 2003.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    ...I bought a sunburst. 64 Jazz Relic from the Fender Custom Shop. Man, these basses are sweet! Tone, playability, everything. A bargain at the price, IMO, especially considering the going rate for vintage ones that don't sound and play a bit better. This one was made about a year ago according to the certificate and is brand new. Sweet. The "relicing" is a non-issue for me but these instruments are extremely well-made and have THE sound, no question about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I don't even know you, but I really hate you now.

;)

3. Very nice! Love the sunburst. I always keep telling myself that someday I will get a Jazz bass, but I played some the other day and I just don't know if I can deal with their necks anymore, since all I have been playing lately is my Precision and Stingray. Love the ash trays as well!!

jtbp

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Naw, I was glad they didn't beat it up too much, actually. I think that whole relic biz is a little silly, myself. These sure are good basses, however. :cool:

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice one!!!!!!!!!

what´s the fretboard made of, rosewood??? it seems to have some nice figuring on it

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, I guess. Not really sure, to be honest. The figuring is pretty darn good and a little surprising, in fact. Nice!

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

hi boogie

do you keep the covers on when you lay what are the price tags on those, it is areal gem enjoy:)

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Hey MM,

No, I take both covers off to play. This one has, in fact, already been de-covered!

The '64 Jazz Relic from the Fender Custom Shop (it's one of three from their Time Machine series along with the New Old Stock--NOS for short--and the Closet Classic) lists for $3299.99. Musician's Friend, as an example of a typical retailer, sells them new for $2309.99. You can usually grab them used for around 18 or 19 or even less sometimes. The thing is: you don't see too many used ones for sale, however. I can see why!

BTW, a vintage pre-CBS '64 in this kind of condition would easily bring $5K-$7.5K depending on the market.

9. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Nice bass. But to give that one the "reliced" look, I think you're going to have to do it the hard way by playing it for 20 or 30 years.;)

GS

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Don't look now but I think your bass has Tribbles.
    [​IMG]

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It's also got "ULTIMATE" written on the side of the neck again! What's up with that??? :confused:

:D

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Camoflauge.

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No idea. Must be a doppleganger.

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Well, actually it's completely "reliced," it's just not very apparent in these pics. I could care less, as I stated earlier, but this bass looks every bit of forty years old, albeit not abused, when you see it in person, up close.

15. Bonzai

Bonzai

Dec 6, 2002
    Boogie I envy your collection more then anyone elses on this board. Awesome instruments all around and you keep finding more. Kudos on another job well done. Keep em comin :bassist:

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thank you. I've been extremely lucky, no question. :)

17. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    boogie... that is one nice looking piece! shouldn't you be getting ready with a family pic soon of all the toys? It should cause bunches of envy in the masses...

I know it would for me! :D

P@

18. Bonzai

Bonzai

Dec 6, 2002
    Yeah Boogie, time for a family pic for sure. Set it up!

19. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Nice bass.

I like to see how they "RELIC" the bass.

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Family pic, huh? Well, for now, here's the sixers and sevens. I'll work on one for the Fenders and Gibsons, both vintage and new.

[​IMG]