1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Loaned Out My Beloved Upright to a Stranger on Craigslist...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Hans Gruber, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I was browsing around for uprights in Los Angeles came across this ad.

This gentleman here was looking to rent one for this memorial service for his wife’s mother; family members wanted to play some bluegrass(?) tunes. He is from NorCal and couldn’t bring his upright and was hoping someone out here could help him out as all the rental places had no available instruments. He mentioned how he restores basses for a hobby and how he's done a similar deed to someone else and made a friend out of it.

I thought, "what the heck, this could be a great little story." I had just picked up the bass with a wonderful setup by Lisa Gass. It wasn't like some rare antique, just a good solid plywood Shen.

We talked and everything seemed just fine. I had a wedding gig in the west side, his memorial event was in the west side, just use it then drop it off before my gig starts in the afternoon. Timing was perfect. Seemed like such a nice guy on the phone.

I met his family, they invited me to stay but I had much to do. They were all SO kind and thankful. He returned it to my gig during my soundcheck and we both were so glad to have a story to tell.

“Thanks again for everything! I had a lot of fun at our event explaining to incredulous people how that had all happened, and what a wonderful “mitzvah” you had done for me and everyone there. The bass was great, excellent action and sweet tone.”

Whenever I told people about this potential transaction, they were like "are you nuts?!"

Maybe I am, though I've been victimized enough to know the scammers. Generally speaking, uprights aren't in their radar. A lot of happiness in my life has been from saying yes to random opportunities and making stories out of them, even if they're very simple ones.

He gave me some nice compensation and I ended up squandering it, but that's another story.

Attached Files:

2. Bassaga

Bassaga

Sep 4, 2015
    Whew, that is pretty gutsy! Makes me smile to think it worked out, though. I always wish the world were a more neighborly, trusting, trustworthy place; maybe it already is, after all. :thumbsup:

FRoss6788, Mr_Moo, Tom Bomb and 10 others like this.
  3. Glad to see everything worked out! It's nice to see positive stories.

barrenelly, nixdad, Mr_Moo and 5 others like this.
  4. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It can be. It's both good and bad to me. I feel like I have a fairly good ability to assess things and wouldn't have done so if something seemed awry or over suspicious.

But there certainly are trustworthy people around and I like to think much of the bass community lends itself to be that. We play support musically, but I think we also have supportive personalities coincidentally. Maybe the reason we chose the instrument is from personality, or maybe play the role of support has shaped our personalities.

5. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    This is an awesome story of helping out a fellow low stringer!!

I will being sending good karma your way and you deserve it!!

6. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    Whew, I thought it was gonna be a bass got stolen story. Glad it worked out.

7. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Great story! Sometimes it's good to be reminded that there actually are decent people out there.

That story reminds me of an experience I had a few years ago. I spoke to a fellow TB'er about an amp he was selling and he messaged me to say that a gap between two pieces chassis wasn't quite even and he asked what I thought about that. Since I already had that same amp (I intended to use the second one in our practice space), I asked if he could send me some pictures so I could compare his to mine. Before I could do that, he messaged me again to say that he had already shipped his amp to me so I could see it in person. All he asked is that I either send it back if it wasn't acceptable or to pay for it if I was going to keep it. I was stunned!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  8. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Good to see that there are still good people out there.
    On both sides. Good Karma to you.:)

9. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    My sentiments exactly.

10. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @Hans Gruber,

Sometimes, when you get a chance to do good, it just feels so right that you know you can't say "no". Good for you. That's a very heartwarming story.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

11. Glad it worked out and that you got to help someone. I have to admit, if I still had my acoustic upright, I would probably kept scrolling down after reading the ad.

Hans Gruber, Mr_Moo and DJ Bebop like this.
  12. That’s awesome, glad it worked out.

13. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Good karma coming your way for sure....

14. robassable

robassable Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Sounds like they're solid folk, I probably would have done the same...with one of my Kays at least.

15. dab12ax7ef

dab12ax7ef Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Cool that it all worked out. You are more charitable than your namesake and avatar. :laugh:

16. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I was asked to do an acoustic wedding gig and I didn't own acoustic upright at the time and had no way to get power where we were so my BL somehow got a hold of an upright from a dude she doesn't even know super well and I never even met the guy. The instrument itself was superb quality and a dream to play. It had a C extension which was wild to mess with and the tone and volume were such that I easily overpowered a guitar and violin. I was so thankful to borrow an amazing instrument from a guy to this day I've never spoken to and if I personally owned that instrument would likely never loan to stranger. That guy earned some serious karma and I try my best to pay it forward when possible.

17. Eighthnoterock

Eighthnoterock Supporting Member

May 25, 2018
    Lynden Washington
    Well done!!! It will come back around when the time is right.

18. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia living la vida loca Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Classy dude, way to go.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You are OK in my book, bro. But I want to hear about your squandering :D

20. Great story............