Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I looking at an MTD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass7755, Feb 10, 2001.

1. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    GAS has got the best of me again. I am looking
    at an MTD at Giampietro Guitars. I have kind of
    made an offer. Yes its pricey...Take a look and
    tell me what you think. Any MTD owners out there. Let
    me know what you think too. I sold a very nice "post-Tobias"
    Tobias to help me pay for my GAS problems. An Elrick would
    be cool too.
    Dan

2. JohnA

JohnA

Mar 21, 2000
    which MTD at giampietro?

3. Bass7755

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    It is the used 535 with ash body and the wenge neck and
    fret board.
    Dan

4. JohnA

JohnA

Mar 21, 2000
    I have an MTD grendel and today I played a 535 in zebrawood / wenge. It was nice, and I really liked it. If I were getting a 'big money' bass I might get one. Actually, I'd probably get a sukop, but that's just me this week...

that being said, it sounds like there are still wenge troubles worldwide (according to my trusty local shop) and mts is going to be making less and less of them. might be a nice thing to have if they're getting rarer.

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with any MTD if that's the tone/vibe you're after. I had one for a while but sold it because it really didn't fit what I was doing, which required more of a vintage vibe. They are, however, incredible instruments and I wish I'd been able to keep mine "just because". Mine had wenge/wenge neck and it's definitely akin to graphite/composites in tone, so if hi-fi is what you're after, go for it.

6. That would be an absolutely slammin' bass! I love mine a lot. Mine is a mahogany body with maple top, maple neck and ebony fingerboard. While it's not "vintage" sounding, if you cut the mids, you get a pretty darned traditional sound.

Overall the wenge neck will be more modern sounding...it's kind of compressed, but that neck is the most popular. And the previous poster is right...he doesn't have much more wenge, if any, so this is a good bass to snap up.

--Len

7. Bass7755

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Hey guys, Thanks for your response. The hi-fi tone will work fine for me. I had decided to purchase the bass yesterday. We close on the deal tomorrow. I should have the
    bass in about a week.
    Thanks again!! Dan