1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I lost my job yesterday...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Went into work yesterday as normal, and got onto my computer to get to work. I was told by someone my agency manager (I worked through a recruitment agency) was in, but thought nothing of it as visits to my office by the manager were normal.

Halfway through the shift I was pulled off the floor and asked if I would attend a meeting with this manager. So I went up to the office where my manager was, and then found out I was to be 'released from the contract' as of that moment.

I've asked for the exact reasons as to why I was fired, and some idiotic reason of ' multiple instances of inappropriate conduct' was given. I personally think this is little more than a cover story as they were not able to provide a SINGLE report of any one incident. To my knowledge, any good company would keep records of any such incidents (names, times, places), all of which they could not provide me.

So after just 4 months, I'm back looking for a job. :bawl:

2. Pretty sure you can collect unemployment.

3. I can, but I feel very much treated like crap by the agency who were supposed to help me.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    So you had no inappropriate conduct at all? None?

-Mike

5. To my mind, no. And if there was, I'd never had so much as a verbal warning.

Plus, if this were the case, incident reports should have been produced stating the time, place and details of the incident, which would then have been added to my personnel file. So far I'm still waiting to see even ONE of these reports.

THEY are the ones claiming inappropriate conduct, the burden of proof is upon them to state their case.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I don't know about the UK, but here in the US, most places are At-Will employment, meaning they can fire you at any time, for any or no reason at all, and never have to provide proof or reason to firing.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Are you looking for legal recourse here? If so, you mentioned working on contract, so did you sign something? If you did, check the provisions for termination by the employer. If you can prove you were wrongfully terminated, you can get your job back. That will be really fun working for someone you just had a legal battle with.

Lots of if's in there. Haha.

-Mike

8. I'm currently in discussion with both the company I worked with and the agency. I'm also forwarding an official complaint to the manager of the entire agency.

To answer some of your questions: yes, I signed a contract and I quite sensibly then asked for a copy, which I was given and which is currently sat on the desk beside my laptop. I'm going to have a lawyer friend of mine read it and I'm perfectly willing to go down the legal route should needs be.

But even if I won any sort of complaints or legal case, I doubt I would return to the job. The agency were terrible in dealing with some work-related personal issues I had, and seemed to not have a clue what to do in any case.

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    How long we're you working there? How long was the probation period?

10. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    After 35+ years of working hard without ever being unemployed more than a couple of weeks, I was separated from my employer last April. One of the best things that ever happened to me. My life has changed. Unemployment pays the bills and I will be finding work soon. I'll be okay. And my peace of mind is no longer for sale. I would rather hang tires at the local tire store than go back to the situation I was in. You too, perhaps. Think of this as a gift. A blessing.

11. I was originally contracted for 13 weeks, starting October-Dec. Then it was re-negotiated by the agency that we were to return to our jobs in the New Year on an ongoing, temporary basis with each individual contract being subject to weekly scrutiny. At any point people could be 'released from the contract' (the polite way of telling us we were fired).

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    And it seems that thats just what happened. Sorry to hear, though.

13. Absolutely.....Europe tends to have real different views on this stuff than USA. Despite that, many US companies do an OK job of letting people go for no reason (severance pay, outplacement, extended benefits in some cases.)

14. This is something which is slowly becoming apparent to me. Looking back even from such a short time away, there was no realistic chance of me wanting to remain doing that job. At least now I can find something I DO want to do.

15. If they'd said that- ''the company doesn't need this number of staff, we're letting you go''- then that would have been fair enough.

But when they're calling my conduct into question, they either need to cite the incidents which led to my sacking (which so far, they've not even so much as provided a scrap of evidence) or offer an apology.

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Did you barf on any of your coworkers' bass?

17. Haha!

I actually had workmates who seriously didn't know what a bass was.

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It happens. I gave up a long time ago. I seldom tell my coworkers I play music in a band if they ask.

19. I gave in and ended up telling anyone who asked I'm a keyboardist. Which is sort of true.

20. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    So, what were these personal issues you had, and might they have influenced your employers opinion of you and your performance?

If this is accurate, then you have no recourse and your time is better spent look for another job.