1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I lost my virginity... to a Rick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sublab, May 21, 2011.

1. Yesterday I played a Rick for the very first time and what a feeling! It was a '79 4001. It was full of scratches and dents, the strings were dead. The pickups were full of dust that seemed to have been there for years. She looked like she could use a good pair of loving bassplayers hands. I took her off the wall and plugged her into an Eden combo of some sorts, didn't really do justice to her but there wasn't that much choice. She immediately felt 'right' and I loved the shape of the body and was surprised that it didn't weigh as much as I thought. The neck has the same dimension from the nut to the body, and although this felt awkward at first, I guess it's just a matter of growing used to, nothing more. Then I started playing it. The string spacing was too narrow so I tripped over my fingers, as I do on my Warwick. The tone was, well..... really really really good! I tried a couple of Sandbergs also and they're top notch basses, and a real steal for what they sell for in Europe. But they don't have that Rick sound and you just can't dial it in on a Sandberg and I wasn't able to dial it out on the Rick. I fell in love with it, the sound, the body, the weight, it all seemed to fit. But the guys over at the store were asking 1800 euro's for a scratched and dent 1979 bass that had a poor set up and needed replacement parts, and that's just undemocratic. Up untill now this first time Rick is the most special bass I've played and its sound and feel have made me reconsider buying a Sandberg Bullet, which, up untill yesterday, was the bass I would most likely be getting. I might never be able to get a Rick, they sell for way too much over here, even secondhand. But I finally played one and it feels like I've found 'my bass'.

Need GAS therapy, quickly.

2. miholc

miholc

Aug 17, 2009
    Exactly. More you would play it, more you'll start to like/love it. At least that's how it is in my case.

If you can afford it & and you dig it, go for it man. You only live once for sure.

3. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    That sounds painful.

4. And wildly inappropriate.

5. Awkward at first? Yeah, I've heard that from others.

6. You know...with a thread title like that...there are so many ways to go...

BnB

7. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I lost my virginity to a girl named Rochelle. Glad it wasn't a Rick though. That may have hurt...

8. This thread has potential.

Potential for what exactly, I'm not sure. But it's got potential.

9. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    A Rick is one of those basses that in my experience you either love or you really do not like them. I love a Rick in the hands of Geddy or Chris Squire, but I do not lke them in my hands. They do not feel good to me, and with my playing they just do not sound right.

Now, if you like it I say go for it, or wait until you can find one for less.

Now, give me a Sandberg California T or V series, preferably 5 strings, maple fingerboard, and I would be very happy.

I do not suggest loosing your virginity to a bass...tis a bit unnatural.

10. The only gas therapy for a Rick is buying one.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    ...what exactly does this all mean? first time alone with a bass guitar, and it happened to be a Rickenbacker, or something more sinister..?...or evil?

12. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm not exactly sure that's the kind of therapy he'd need for this Rick....

13. Ouch, sounds kinky - painful but kinky.

14. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    Speaking of losing your viginity to a Rick....... After seeing the look on my wifes face after telling her this afternoon, that I was taking delivery of a brand new FG 4003 on Mon.

I may be "losing my virginity" ......... and may look kind of silly on Tuesday morning, reporting to work with a Rickenbacker head stock protruding from my backside....:help:

Time will tell..

15. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    The lack of neck taper is one of my favorite things about a Ric. That and the way it feels in my hands, they're really like nothing else.

I think the anime Fooly Cooly shows a kid losing his virginity to a blue Ric in the first episode.

16. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    Magic it,s as easy as that I,m afraid that,s what Ricks can do,you know you,ve arrived.
    I have to agree that they are not heavy and the string spacing and taper is different to others but you get into it and it feels natural sooner than later.
    You can get a 4003 for the price of a 4001 and if it has the vintage circuit so much the better but if not put in the vintage circuit they are not expensive and 1/2 an hour with a soldering iron and a screwdriver your there and you,ve got the 4001 sound at the end of a push pull pot and the 4003 sound when pushed in.

17. +1 Your read my mind

18. When reality sets in with a woman, it's special but hard to recapture that first moment. With a Rick, the reality just keeps getting better.

My friend, welcome to the passion that never ends for those of us who feel it.

19. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    :D mine is a little more forceful but it will open your beer for you afterwards .

Ricstock.

body5.

20. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    beautiful Cheyenne^^