1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I love a 60s Jazz as much as the next guy but....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by easyvision, May 13, 2010.

1. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    i have seen this one on ebay before... but didnt it have a tort pickguard??? and the guy seems to be hiding the serial number just like he did with the tort guard one...

2. Can't say I've seen it before. I try to avoid looking at eBay for potential GAS reasons:p

There's no way I'd pay that much for it though...couple grand, yeah, I can understand that...but 55? No thanks...

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    its because its a gold sparkle. and probably a refinish job im not a vintage expert but i dont think gold sparkle was a stock fender color. or even more likely its a fake.

4. smythe5

smythe5

May 11, 2010
    haha. ridiculous... i thought i overpaid spending $1,500 on my '78 P bass...

5. He claims it's a custom paintjob, presumably from the Fender custom shop. Did they even do customs back then or was it a case of whatever they put out is what you get?

6. smythe5

smythe5

May 11, 2010
    but even if it is a custom fender paint job.... 10 to 15 grand seems to be the limit anyone would pay for something that rare... 55 grand? just sounds like a scam...

7. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    why does he hide the serial number... you would think if your going to pay 55k for a bass he would show the serial so you can prove its from when he says it is

8. Very valid points...I've got this saved as a watched item, just to see if anyone's stupid enough...I mean, enough of a collector:rolleyes:...to buy it.

9. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I messaged him asking why hes hiding the serial number because Im really curious as to why hes hiding it. I bet he wont reply.

10. Probably not. Do share any response he gives though! He's clearly making a point of hiding it. He wouldn't have bothered saying it's LXXXXXX otherwise...Very bizarre.

11. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Some mug will buy it . I hate it when people pull basses to bits to take photos ......documentation should be enough/supplied at this exorbitant price .

12. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    hiding serial number stinks like scumbag!

13. harry182

harry182

Nov 28, 2009
    England
    Im going to buy a jazz bass, Not touch it and leave it in the box, reopen it in 50 years and sell it for millions :D

14. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    just my idea too. my advantage is having one which is 30 years old already hah!!!

15. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    This pops up every few months.

16. harry182

harry182

Nov 28, 2009
    England
    ah you have a 30 year head start then haha

In all seriousness though, what makes this worth more than the equivalent jazz bass made today?

surely as times moved on products only get better? is it just that your paying for an antique?

For that much do you wonder why? :lol:

17. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    uh. you are NOT serious here,are you? but ofcourse you pay for an antique. and I don't agree products are better nowadays as far as Fender basses are concerned. I played a original 64 jazz and I had to say, that nice aged wood FELT great,but the constructions,materials, machines, pick ups - they were just better then.

18. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Uhh, for that price...NO MATCHING HEADSTOCK???

Pfffffft :rolleyes:

19. The price is beyond ridiculous.