1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I love amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr-Bassman, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Never quite sold on that one single right sound. Like the different flavors and options as situation requires. I’d kinda like a Genzler if I could figure out how to convince the little lady that I need “another” amp.

85DC5435-2B36-49D2-BAFC-E54F0FC7B8AE.

2. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I think I get turned on more about Amps/Cabs than basses. :D

Super nice assortment you've got there. :)

3. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Stuff stacked in the hall outside my music/man room, older pic-- a couple amp changes but those are my present cabs. :)

rmTH6JV[1].

4. That monster cab rack rig sure does look cool but sure it’s a beast to move around.

5. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    That rack is just storage. I have a four-space rack with another head, and a Furman plug unit (with the lights and read-out) since the amp on/off switch is in the back. :)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    iagtrplyr likes this.
  6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    LOL, ya'll are as demented as I am. I have six bass combos, two separate speakers, and one separate head:

Markbass CMD 121H combo
    Fender Rumble 100 v3 combo
    Fender Bassman 150 combo
    Fender Bassman 25 combo
    Trace Eliott GP7SM 115 combo
    SWR Workingman's 12 combo
    Marbass Traveller 151P cab x2
    Markbass Little Mark III head

Plus two guitar combos:

Silvertone Twin Twelve (1966 model).
    Monoprice 15w all tube 112 combo (based on a Laney Cub 12R).

Love 'em all.

7. Gee, you really like combos. If they give you what you need the convenience is nice. Not having to hook up a head gives you an extra minute in your life to be on TB

8. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I had a bass combo I loved-- a TC ELectronic BG500 115, wonderful unit, not super-light but lots of features, got as loud as ya wanted, and it sounded fantastic! :)

Pbassmanca and iagtrplyr like this.
  9. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Nice selection! Which is your favorite and what kind of music do you like to play with it?

iagtrplyr likes this.
  10. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Heck yah Combos are Rad

ar25sfBV1IJzUqXwVPVh5ed1TbZW2msrjogXidTjcIiSF_o7rUB3N8a0DO8gEJpv1lnFHZ73qr8UF6DomkU=w651-h868-no.

Microbass, 2tonic, rodl2005 and 9 others like this.
  11. That’s a beauty! Combos are rad...except for ones they seem to fill with concrete making them heavier than a old 410 cab.

12. That’s the problem, like them all and somehow can justify they all need to stay. Do wide range of rock/pop from 60’s-today, country, P&W, whatever people will pay me to make low rumbling noises for.

eJake, Pbassmanca and iagtrplyr like this.
  13. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Your thought that variety is the spice while playing bass is right on. I also agree that I'd rather buy amps than basses any day. For me, the bass is a very personal part of being a musician and even though amps come down to a personal choice as well, they're more like the toppings on your favorite ice cream. To me, you can't have enough bass amps. Good post!

ghostinthemach and Marko 1 like this.
  14. I also love amps. I usually look first at amps than basses. Feels good that I'm not the only one haha. My current setup:

Ashdown ABM EVO II
    Ashdown Spyder 330
    Ashdown Rootmaster EVO
    Ashdown AAA Vintage 12
    Ashdown ABM 410 EVO IV
    Mesa Boogie PowerHouse 210
    Peavey TKO 115

PS Yes, I love Ashdown. But I'll probably buy an Ampeg Portaflex or a V4B in the near future hehe

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Gizmot likes this.
  15. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    You can also add something from Aguilar.

pellomoco14 likes this.
  16. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    It gets even worse (better!) when ya also play guitar ...

17. hid one making her think youre trading it in for a new one, then wait a bit an say someone gave one to you ,

18. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    You can play a gig with a lower end bass (MIM, Squier, etc.), but the amp has to be top shelf IMO/IME.

rodl2005, HolmeBass and MyMusic like this.
  19. I'm pretty sold on my Ampeg SVT810 as a speaker. It's really the only thing I use although I am still heavily contemplating a TL-606 cab, just for a change up.

No combos. Never had one, IIRC. Always used (and in some cases, abused) whatever backline was povided for the shows that supplied one. This ranged from everything from the mighty full SVT, down to a little Yamaha 15" combo that would distort (really nice sounding grind though) if pushed too much. I got accused of "blowing it up" by the back-line company, even though it worked perfectly after the show. No harm, no foul...

Nowadays, just a Tronographic Rusty Box and an Ampeg SCR-DI as my "amps*", into a Quilter BB800 (or SWR Stereo 800 if I need a true hi-fi power section).

*-Also, but seldom used as actual preamps anymore- MXR M81 (used now as a volume boost for my Yamaha), and a guitarpcb.com Guitar/Bass Driver (after the SFT pedal, but with more output gain).

20. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Nice collection. I can guarantee you though that if you get the Genzler Magellan 800, it will be your thickest sounding and hardest hitting amp. IMHO and IME.

Here's my current collection:
    TC ELECTRONIC RH750
    TC ELECTRONIC RH450
    TC ELECTRONIC BH800
    GENZLER MEGELLAN 800
    GENZ BENZ STREAMLINER 600
    GENZ BENZ NEO PAK 3.5
    GENZ BENZ SHUTTLE 6.2
    ASHDOWN ROOTMASTER 500 EVO
    GALLIEN KRUEGER 700RB II

BadExample likes this.