1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I LOVE DANELECTRO LONGHORNS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sedan_dad, May 26, 2011.

1. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    This has to be the worlds best kept secret. So inexpensive. So fantastic sounding. Tones ranging from a Rick when strung with rounds to an upright with a set of chromes on it. Balanced and light as a feather. It has such a unique body shap. This thing will not get lost in a crowd. Such a history to them. The original cool bass. It's my go to bass over my Jazz and Precisions. Sorry, I just LOVE it.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I love them too.
    Do yourself a treat and buy Neptune Bound, a nice coffee table book about the company.

3. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Cool, Thank you

4. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    best basses ever :D

[​IMG]

5. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I can't believe they're not more common place.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If you don't like them, one listen of "Radar Love" will change your mind.

(although looking at the video, Rinus is playing a Rick. I was always told it was a longhorn. Now I'm confused. ;))

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I had one or two and sold them. They're not more popular because back in the day they were cheapos. They still are, but nothing sounds like them.

I had a Jerry Jones once that was to die for. I miss that bass.

8. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    One of my favorite basses of all time, but--I've never owned one! I've played several, and used to own a 6-string Longhorn guitar, but never a bass.

Someday I need to remedy that.

Oddly, I was just thinking about these last night. Was watching the DVD of The Kids Are Alright and Entwistle rocks one of these on a few cuts. Kept thinking "Why haven't I ever had one of those."

Definitely one of The Coolest Basses Ever.

9. they're way cool no doubt. i just wish the tuners and bridge were better.

10. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    I had a Jerry Jones Douleneck, Top neck was a six string(Tic Tac ) Bass with a six String Guitar. It was perfect for Playing late 80s Dave Edmunds!!

11. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Banned Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Working on prototypes now. New body styles, though trying to keep the vibe. I do have a Longhorn template and am tempted do one as well... Maybe a double neck.

Hope to have pic's up this month.

Moonshine :bassist:

12. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
  13. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    love 'em too

14. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    I miss mine it was a 58 reissue I guess it was periwinkle blue and cream colored

15. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Thats the one I have. I love it. They will fit nicely in a slightly modified Strat case.

16. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I like 'em too....if you can't tell from my avatar...

17. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Just chiming in here, confessing my love of these little gems... They can tend to be kind of a polarizing axe, with mostly a "Love 'em!" - "Hate 'em" kind of reaction... Not a lot in between!

Rockin' the '00 Limo Black RI through a V4 and 2X15... I had sold this bass a few years before and had just received it back that night in a trade (this shot was taken in 2006)... The Geddy Lee stayed in that stand that night and has since moved on, but the Dano is here to stay! :D

danolive.

Here's a few shots of a rather recent acquisition... a '95 "Blood Red" RI, very early in the first RI series... I got this in a trade a few months ago... After a good cleaning and a few adjustments, it has become one of my go-to gig basses...

red_dano_full.

Nancy Sinatra FTW!!! I also used the old knobs from my black dano to create a custom 'mix-n-match' set :)

red_dano_body.

-robert

18. rfisher

rfisher

Mar 11, 2005
    I've been fascinated by these for years and have the bug to try building a replica. Does anyone have a schematic they would be willing to share?

19. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    My herd:
    longhorns013.

20. Epidrake

Epidrake

May 24, 2011
    I'm getting a serious case of G.A.S.