I LOVE distortion!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPJ, May 28, 2004.

1. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Had a great rehearsal last night and my IOD was really buzzin'. There's nothing better than two guitarists and a bass player flat-out wailin' once everyone's tubes have had a chance to warm up and get really toasty. I've had my IOD for a while, but man was she cookin' last night. Just thought I'd express my love for that late '60s pushed/saturated tube amp sound.... :D

I'm just thankful that I don't have to actually haul around and rely on a "real" tube amp. ;)
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

LOL, I hear ya. I keep thinking about going back to all tube, but the other week my lower back acted up again, reminding me to stick with SS power.

I keep telling myself I'm going to get a Stella for my preamp collection, but my RBI and SVP-Pro give enough dirt for my needs (as you can tell from my nick I love fuzzy bass, but it wouldn't work well for my cover bands).
  3. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

my ts50b gets this really nice grind with the gain set relatively low, and the boost on. funny thing is it's one of the best bass distortions i've ever heard, and it's a solid state head.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    JPJ... do you think the IOD is capable of getting raging, wall-of-sound distortion, without sacrificing low end, or is it more like just a regular overdrive that can get a lot of dirt/grit in the sound?
  5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You know...I have an old Fender Bassman 60 1X15 combo (about 12 years old or so) that is completely worthless as a bass amp. BUT....it absolutely ROCKS when it comes to getting a great grindy/distorted R&R sound. I've actually used it in the studio before and it's almost comical how great it sounds. It's all solid state, but it's such a complete and total failure as a bass amp that it sounds killer! :D

The IOD is actually everything in one. It's a hi-fi SWR pre, it's a tube pre, it's a mix of the two, it'll give you the tone of a pushed tube amp, and it can get down-right nasty when it comes to grindy, fuzzy distortion....all while keeping things defined and tight. It's great a adding distortion without sacrificing the low end and without becoming too "barky". I've never wound mine out 100%, but I'm sure that you could and still be able to hold down the low end. ;)
  6. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    yeah. i love my 'stella a whole lot. I use it for a clean, warm tubey sound, a gently overdriven warm sound with a touch of dirt, to a great fuzz when i crank the drive and blend it in with the clean signal to the right mix.

i actually dont use the crazy distortion-y sound much, and never even really fooled around with it for more than just doodling, but it sounds pretty good.

its such an ideal preamp for me because of its flexibility. only thing i'd want more is a sweepable mid control dial. but it sounds real sweet without one anyways.

..but i can see how an owner of an rbi and an svp-pro wouldnt feel urged to get an IOD since they all in terms of 'function' cover the same ground....but the IOD can do the lean and mean sound if that matters.

but hey, the blue light is pretty schway....hehe
  7. hauling around....psssh... thats what the wheels on the cab are for! MY rig weighs MORE THAN I DO! But I would never go back to SS.

a Warwick weighs more than a Squier, se?

Anyone who would willingly sacrifice great tone for a few pounds, is no friend of mine. :scowl:
  8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't care if using an 80lb SVT (or similar weight tube head) made your bass itself, I would never haul that around and I'm young. Wheels work great until you have to climb stairs or load the amp into a truck. Keep in mind some of the posters on TB are old and cannot or will not carry something as heavy as a tube head. I get a great tone from my Peavey combo, which is powering a SVTHLF410. I don't want a head as heavy as a bag of cement to go along with it.

I like the tube sound of old recordings, but a tube preamp and a solid poweramp seem more feasible to me when I start to upgrade my rig.

With a wide enough strap, most any bass can be comfortable. When I bought my Warwick Corvette Standard I thought I was incredibly heavy, now I can wear it for hours and still not feel it, all because of proper strap length and width (3 1/2 inch wide soft cloth and hangs the bass about belly area).

If you want to drag around a extremely heavy head then by all means do so, but don't knock others who do not want to.