1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I love Donald Fagan..do you??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bubinga5, Mar 28, 2009.

1. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Anyone heard the new/ish album 'Morph The Cat'... i have always loved this guy from Steely D..his voice is not what i love in a voice but i love it all the same, i would recognise his voice anywhere..for me his attention to detail is sublime. he is a true master of his craft!! the way he plays that fender organ is so cool.

Kamakiriad and Night Fly are superb, and this album is not far off..my favorites being 'Security Joan', 'Morph the Cat', The amazing 'H Gang'. and my favorite Brite Nitegown..this is amazing stuff IMHO..

Everything about this album, as usual, has Fagans trademark master arranging qualities..

Freddie Jackson on bass, is supremely laid back. i would like to see Pino all over this.

If you like Fagan, buy this. I would kill to play on this stuff!!!

If you havent heard please listen,, for the subtle bass playing at least...

I also love the guitar work on this album...Amazing..Just amazing..

2. I haven't listened to his solo stuff, but the Steely Dan stuff is incredible :D

3. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Brilliant record - I think it's the best stuff Fagen has put out since Aja, with Steely Dan or not!! Having Wayne Krantz and John Herrington on guitar and Freddie on bass can't hurt either:)

4. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    SE MA USA
    Haven't heard "morph" yet, except for H-Gang single, which lyrically is not Fagen's best, but of course musically great, like alot of his stuff. "Nightfly", however, rules! A who's-who of pro bassists, and impeccably produced. Also the first all-digitally recorded pop record ever. Funny, as cd's were not dominant yet and most copies (including the one I wore out in the 80's) were actually vinyl.

5. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I am a fan of Night Fly, some wicked bass playing there.

6. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    yep, I love Steely Dan & Donald Fagen

7. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I have all the SD stuff as well as Walter and Donald's solo efforts. Me love them long time !!

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree.
    At the time, The Nightfly was definitely needed because we fans of the band kept hearing rumours that went between a)No more Steely Dan &/or b)Another band recording was coming..."soon".
    Well, "soon" didn't happen.
    The Nighfly pretty much sounded like a continuation of Aja & Gaucho...there was no Becker so it was like, "I guess those jazzy-sounding Dan recordings were pretty much all Fagen".
    And...
    Becker's 11 Tracks Of Whack did not really sound anything like a Dan record.

Another recording that helped ease the pain bewteen of almost 20 years between The Nightfly & Two Against Nature was Fagen's The New York Rock & Soul Revue.
    http://www.amazon.com/New-York-Rock...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1238373840&sr=8-2